The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good quality Durum seed is going to be hard to find and expensive.
I have done some preliminary testing of a few samples of my own for germination, and it is not pretty. my best sieved sample untreated came back at 51% germ.
But the lab pointed out that the Fusarium in the sample infects the seeds side by side and kilsl neighboring germs.
I am wondering how to replicate the work of a gravity table in a couple of pound sample so I can have a cleaner representative sample for seed testing.
Also have you had good luck improving seed with a top of the line seed treatment? seed primers?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Very very difficult to replicate a working gravity table, especially on a small quantity because gravity tables only work when run full, so on a couple of pounds, even if you were to put something together, it would never run full. Probably easier to handpick the obvious stuff and then over pick the questionable ones. Problem with durum this year is the fusarium is everywhere on the kernels and not confined to the creases. Also have to look to the fus on the side of the kernel and around the germ.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's a tough situation.. Durum seed is going to be very scarce this spring.. I'm waiting for my germ tests to come back.. if it was me, I would be looking for seed now, I would not be putting that stuff in my soil.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am in the moose jaw area and have some good durum for sale. If anybody is interested they can pm me. Some times I have trouble getting messages so if I don't get back to u keep trying or put it on this post. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.