The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What variety of durum is everyone growing? And what have you found stands the best? Any side by side trials with different variety and same fertility?

We have been growing strongfield and it always seems to lean or go down. Not fun to thrash either.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Navigator always stood the best, but we always seemed to have ergot issues with it. Next best has been Verona. Brigade was one of the worst we had a couple years ago, it all leaned over one way and was hard to cut. I would put strongfield in the middle of them all. I dont know if anybody grows it anymore, but Kyle durum was by far the worst of them all!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Navigator always stood the best, but we always seemed to have ergot issues with it. Next best has been Verona. Brigade was one of the worst we had a couple years ago, it all leaned over one way and was hard to cut. I would put strongfield in the middle of them all. I dont know if anybody grows it anymore, but Kyle durum was by far the worst of them all!
have to totally agree with you, I have 4 different varieties all in the same area, mine is Verona and is standing the best, there also is strongfield, it is leaning and Transcend it looks good better than strongfield and Raymore which is solid stem and it is leaning like stongfield!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My Brigade all stood very good last year, the only reason I grew it again, yielded good but poorer protein. My Brigade is rank this year and gone down bad, and is it hanging on.
Brigade is also 2-3 days later than strong field.
Most guys I know who grew Verona are no longer because of grading factors. Pretty tough to beat strong field on that. Transcend sounds promising.
Some new shorter varieties coming I've been told.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have grown Verona for the last two years before that we grew navigator . It stands decent but to be honest I would prefer to grow navigator. While they both thresh very nice I think the navigator had better stand ability.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In 2013 we had Raymore , Transcend and Verona.
I liked Raymore the best. It had the best looking sample of the 3 varieties.

In 2014 we have Raymore, Verona and Marchwell seeded for Durum varieties.
Will you have Marchwell available for seed next year? let me know what you think about it when you get it, i know you guys just got a good shot of rain last night, I guess will find out which handles the weather the best!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Marchwell wont be available until 2015. It is looking pretty good. There was only a small amount of Marchwell seed available so we seeded it at a seeding rate of 40 lbs per acre. It was seeded We seeded the Marchwell on May 30 so hoping the frost stays away.

2014 will be a good test to see how different Durum vareties handle rain at harvest time. We have had close to 4 inches in the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marchwell wont be available until 2015. It is looking pretty good. There was only a small amount of Marchwell seed available so we seeded it at a seeding rate of 40 lbs per acre. It was seeded We seeded the Marchwell on May 30 so hoping the frost stays away.

2014 will be a good test to see how different Durum vareties handle rain at harvest time. We have had close to 4 inches in the last 2 weeks.
Where are you located at?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Prior to snow Navigator was leaning at least 45 degrees south from rain/wind the past 2 weeks. Verona standing like it never saw bad weather. Post snow Navigator now at 5-10 degrees (so very flat) and Verona still standing well. Verona was at least 8" taller than Nav, maybe more when both were straight up. The 100ac of Nav we did cut was a good stand and avg 60bpa and despite 7+'' rain was still graded a 2. Probably looking at 4-5 CWAD after the last few days though. Don't know what Verona will yield, but it is generally an ugly durum even in good years and this will be last year growing it. Viterra/CPS has a new one out that they fully expect to replace Nav and should be available in large scale for 2015, but the name escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Switched all from Strongfield to Transcend this year. Last year it stood up better than the Stronfield and did not lodge. The Strongfield alongside did do its normal laying over. This year I did see some lodging on the Transcend before it hailed out. Definitely Transcend looked better last year than the Strongfield alongside - even though it is a taller variety!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.