The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought 3 inch paired row low draft dutch openers last year with 3/8 s nose for the second shoot, for our 5000 flexi coil, overall i was pretty happy with them, but putting down only 40 lbs of actual n is nothing, i want to come close to 100 this year on canola and 70 to 80 on flax, do i have anything to worry about? pretty good brown soil here with lots of moisure in central sk, seems like a pretty hot setup just wondering what you guys think,its also on 9 inch spacing so that should help the sbu a little. i planned on putting nh3 down before hand but after calling yesterday the price with applicator is the same as 46-0-0, plus the time and effort of another pass, so now im not sure what to do if it was a good savings i had planned to go that route but now i would rather not if i could just one pass it as usual

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
We do 100lbs+ of nh3 with the universal opener but it's a 4" spread and 3/4 deep point. I had ordered the 3" spread but once I seen them switched them out for 4", just to close for my liking. 10" centers. Black/grey here.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Esn costs more but it is seed safe. Could do blend of 60%ESN and 40% Urea and it would be 40 lbs N like last year.

As fertilizer rates go up the amount of fertilizer volume goes up and it is the volume which makes the fertilizer get closer to the seed. Only so much room behind the opener.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We did our winter wheat this fall in one pass with attom jet 3" paired row. A first for us. Good moisture and clay/ clay loam soil. (Actual) 30lb urea 75lb esn 35 phos blended together. 2 bu Seed out the side with 1/3 the fert blend. The rest down the centre. Germ was excellent. I was nervous to do all urea no esn? But it could have been safe? I talked to AJ rep about a safe limit and got a very general 70lb +/- depending on moisture and soil. We did have issues getting all the product (400lb) out the pipes over 5mph.... That's another story.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our neighbours had Dutch and with lower rates no issue but around that 100N mark I would worry about how that point digs in and the fertilizer could gave in from the side of the furrow. That seemed to happen with our neighbours but at a lower rate it was not a worry.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have been using 40% esn here but mostly so we don't lose half our N when the June monsoons come. We are applying 80-100 lbs N including the esn on wheat, barley, canola with no effect using both Dutch 3.5 and gen T2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.