The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like Dutch makes a Seedmaster conversion that turns the Fert/seed into an inline arrangement.
Not only that the paired row practically duplicates the 1870 conservapak profile and even uses the same paired row opener.

I'm digging the idea of a 90ft conservamaster with the paired row and running the Fert shank a little on the deep side, well as deep as we can get away with and still have a seed shelf.

Yellow Parallel Missile Aerospace engineering Silver

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Only valid agronomic reason for the paired row is it makes it a little bit easier for the stubble to support a swath if that’s what floats your boat. But if you train your Swather pilot to cut at an angle the swath bridges across the stubble.

Most years in western Canada we don’t have the moisture coming at the right time to maximize our yields. And on top of that most areas will be moisture limited.

I’d spec the side band opener over the paired row as it does a better job of closing in the furrow and placing the seed at the correct depth. Plus you can travel quite a bit faster and not have the soil throw issues.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Most years in western Canada we don’t have the moisture coming at the right time to maximize our yields. And on top of that most areas will be moisture limited.

I’d spec the side band opener over the paired row as it does a better job of closing in the furrow and placing the seed at the correct depth. Plus you can travel quite a bit faster and not have the soil throw issues.
Maybe in your area that’s true. Any wider then 10 and I’m leaving big cereal yields on the table and especially in wheat. Nobody has done valid yield trials on cereals in years using modern fertility rates. Last time I looked at trial data Alberta Ag had stuff from irrigation down south that showed narrow spacing improving yields

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we’d be in that same boat on cereals as well.
With 2 other drills though this could just be a canola rig and the single side band is bound to do a nicer job there. That said if we end up happy with this system then they could be doing cereals as well.
The nice thing with this conversion it’s literally just 2 bolts at the back and you can swap openers from narrow to split row. No changing hose or anything.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Interesting.

With a paired row on 14" spacing whats the effective row width? 12" in wheat can lag a bit compared to 10 or less, depends on the year it seems.

Also looking at a bigger seedmaster to augment our cpaks and concerned about the wider row spacing in cereals. Currently just running side band openers. Seedmasters are cheap and light for the width compared to 1870s.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Because of the different packer wheel it might perform much differently than a conservapak. The conservapak is designed to put the seed so it only gets packed from the side and grows sideways out to the packed trench. The dutch option on the seedmaster would pack everything and push the seed downward into the deeper fertilizer trench as well. Concept is great, hopefully it works as well in the field.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wonder if any seedhawk boys on here have tried the inline side opener on their units as theyve had that option for a few years now. Would imagine it'd be pretty similar to this concept. I like to seed between the rows as much as I can and this would make it breeze compared to seedmasters original set up. Also think it would be easier pulling yet, nicer field finish, wouldnt move the dirt as much and possibly less skewing?? Will be definitely getting in contact with our rep to get more info on these new openers.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep totally agree that’s a pretty significant difference. That and being able to set the fert shank pressure and seed separate is pretty cool.
Had a look at the 76’ 1870 and it’s a NASA level complexity, Caterpillar pig iron weight was hard to warm up to. 10,000lbs more than our 3320’s and 7950’s! Like how is that even possible!

As to the Seed hawk this has been out for quite a while for it.

This is more or less what we’re putting together, only a 90ft on 12” and putting together a nh3 cart that should hold about 11 ton of gas.
Anyone recognize the outfit? Wouldn’t mind asking them some questions on how they set up the primary manifold.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The snow and frost event at the end of our season makes me not want to leave it on the table here. I used to be all about big bushels now I like to get it all off instead... I find bushels in the bin pay better then bushels under the snow

·
Registered
471 Posts
Been using SeedHawk Twin Wing for quite a few years now. In my area the extra soil movement is a good thing in order to help warm things up a tad quicker. Does the Dutch use a spread tip, or a twin row tip on that unit? It looks awfully similar to the Seedhawk. I tried a SeedMaster years ago with their opener and it did not work in the amount of trash that we have. This looks like a much better option.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The reason most SH use the standard openers is almost guaranteed no plugging issues.
Any degree in opener design is more chance to plugging.
This will not occur with canola but think peas or faba beans .
Even the new style steel opener on SH is something I would never order

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried the dutch inline this year. Put 12 on one side so I got 24' of crop to compare with the standard opener. They are a fine opener. I tried both the paired row, and the side knife.
I will not be switching to them, simply because trash hasn't been an issue for me so far, and the paired row is no yield advantage.
My only advice would be to put the side knife opener pointed to the center of the drill instead of the outside. When they are pointed out they plug like crazy on corners.

·
Registered
940 Posts
We switched everything over from 1870s (known for great trash flow) to 80ft seedmasters last year, with just standard openers. Don't find trash flow to be much of an issue in general, might get poof balls of canola straw in the field but the land roller and a strong wind took care of those.

We re not picky however. I can see why some guys doing alot of canola would complain and possibly spend 300/shank. We re mostly beans and wheat and neither of those crops care too much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts