The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i figured i'd give this a shot...i'll start uploading pictures later this week when we start getting the machinery out for spring cleaning.

Much like Adam has said in his thread...it's too wet to even get anxious, although i've been wanting to go since the first of april we'll have to wait until mother nature decides to give us a break from some moisture to start turnin earth and planting seed.

Not much is going at the moment, have to drive to some local dealers and get some seed when it gets to the dealer. Fertilizer guys are wanting to get things switched over to liquid, but they still have some dry to spread (only one of our fields actually has dry on it at the moment).

I'll have quite a few pictures later this week, so stay tuned.

Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So we got some equipment shuffled around over thursday/friday to get it ready over the weekend and await for mother nature to give us good weather.

We moved the combine west of town so we could free up some room in the large toolshed to unfold the planter and work on it, as well as put seed in it.

After we got that moved over, we we're able to pull our JD 726 Soil Finisher out, we need to replace some sweep, and have some engineering to do monday because the supports for the 5-bar spike tooth keep snapping.

While we were hooking it up and getting it moved out low and behold the fertilizer company came out and got the potash/pellet lime spread around our house.

Should be busy tomorrow, monday, tuesday to get all of the equipment's little problems fixed and we'll be good to go!

Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today we decided to get the planter ready...don't mind alf, i took the pics for a game/idea we have on another forum where we send him to other members and see what they do for a living kinda thing, lol.

I love how companies multi-label products now to save money!

Very rare manual wing fold planter, and nonetheless JD doesn't make windfold kits for them anymore. Good thing we're going to a 16row planter next year!

When we stored the corn boxes/meters, we found out our roof leaked, so we took apart each unit to make sure they didn't rust in anyway, also gave em a little graphite to make sure they we're as smooth as silk.

Everything put back together....all we have to do is go get another grease gun tomorrow (ours broke) grease it up and it'll be good to go!

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we finally got to turn dirt and plant some! Weather seems to call for rain tomorrow, but its currently moving straight up instead of toward illinois so i guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Personally, if it goes into iowa i won't mind a bit.

9300 with 726 Soil Finisher

A more than welcome view coming from the soil finisher!

Testing to make sure the 3 aztec boxes were working correctly, also to make sure depth is where we want it (3.5" - 4" deep).

Going across the road to the field i finished while i work on the one he's in at the time of the picture.

Some of the best soil on our side of the county...looks great and is ready to plant after 1 pass which is why we love a soil finisher over a cultivator.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More of the same!

Stopped for lunch...

What i love farming next to the interstate when the wind is right...people don't know what to do...pic doesn't show it as well, but there was some thick dust crossing all 4 lanes.

Story of the year so far...

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We started again around noon the next day...was a good choice, ground dried up enough to work it and there was still quite a bit of dust rolling out. We got everything squared away, so i'm running 8.5mph with the soil finisher (blades are running about 3-4" deep, sweeps are running around 5.5" deep).

As for the old man, well he's running about 5.5-6mph now and makin good progress. I had to stop for the day as i was getting just a little to far ahead (about 140acres so it was drying out to much for us). So i went over to watch him and help him load seed so we didnt have bags in the truck in case it rained (it did later that night).

We got a pretty good shower friday night, so we didnt work much saturday besides cleaning some toolsheds, it was a nice mellow drying day, about 60* and windy so it didn't crust any. We got a little drizzle sunday, but it didn't last long. Should be back in the field tomorrow morning ready to finish the 130acre field my dad is on now and move across the interstate to the 150 acre field i'm on.

Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, today was a productive day. We got about just short of a half-inch friday night, so the weekend was shot, west of town didn't get but 2tenths so we were able to work some ground out there.

We did run into a problem today though, the previous owner of our 9300 let it sit outside all the time and the elbow had alot of rust on it. Well today it finally let loose and blew a hole out the side of the elbow.

More pics are uploading right now over the past week, so they'll be up shortly.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The field from above was finished friday morning since we thought it was going to rain to much. Worked up nicely that day.

My dad planting the same field on the opposite side of the field...

Need more seed!

Off he goes...

Heading a good distance (for us) west about 12miles...

I love the easy passes that finish a field, gives me something to focus on while going to the field entrance.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i guess i should do an update, lol. We got an inch of rain which suprisingly isn't showing on any of the field we planted, and then tuesday night we got 6 tenths of an inch.

We finally have a clear 10 day forecast, so maybe saturday we can get to running again.

On to pics from last week...

Fertilizer company spraying some 28% along with roundup to control the weeds in this particular field. We didn't quite get the burnoff we wanted before we planted the field, but a couple passes over the weed patches and it look pretty good.

A Nice sunset...

Finishing the end rows...

Working his way from south to north...

And into the night we go!

We currently have 150acres of corn left, i forgot my camera on a couple fields so i didn't quite get the pics i wanted. Then we'll take an hour to lube the chains, change population, swap boxes and roll onto the beans which seem to get smaller acres every year.

Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've finished planting corn Wed. morning, planter is home. i swapped to the set of bean boxes today, took back some aztec we didn't use, got the auger mate running and hooked up to the wagon, and picked up 3 70bag pallets of beans today.

We got the rotary hoe hooked up to th 4640 and my dad was running that today. We havent used it in a long time, and it was setup for a category 2 3pt hitch and we're running a Cat. 3 narrow so we needed to switch the mounts on the hoe. By the time we got that done and got everything beat out of transport position and into field position we ended up workin on it for about 3hrs lol.

The tires on our 9300 are shot..it's sat for a day on level ground and sure enough, we need new tires bad. There so dry-rotted that their leakin air slowly. We filled em all up to 16psi before we started, and had 5 of them that didn't even push the tire gauge past 5psi.

The right rear dual also came off the rim on the inside, great. I tried to get it to seat the bead again but its not gonna happen. Ag Tires places are busy until tuesday so i'm not sure what we're gonna do. If we get could them to come out and put a tube in it as a temporary fix for 4 days of running we'd be great. With as nice of weather as it is, and as dry as the ground is, it's perfect to plant beans in on the heavier dirt at the moment.

Video of my dad using the ole Model 400 Rotary Hoe

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4455: Yep that was our (now gone) 1760 manual wing fold, good planter after fighting for three years to get it rebuilt because something was wrong from the factory and it snapped the sprockets off the hex shaft all the time. Deere finally gave in after our dealer kept pressure on them forever...wish we would've stayed with the 17x0 series planters instead of goin to a 7200...they were just that much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.