The Combine Forum banner

Electric actuator, sts chopper

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  visiontrak 
#1 ·
All the sts's we have had on the farm have ruined the chopper actuator that raises it up for windrowing. They do not appear to be easily taken off. Seems they all sag or bend where the rod enters the housing.
Any tips or tricks or cheaper replacement parts anywhere? How did ya get yours out???
Thanks alot,
DeereCattopher

#3 ·
how about just unbolting the assembly and working with it on the bench, two bolts front , two bolts rear, have had several out do to collisions, never had to torch one yet.as far as dependability, havent had too many fail, unless they find the grain cart. deerefever.

#4 ·
It sure seems that there are 6 bolts holdin this one on, with two of them nearly impossible to reach! I took the four little bolts off of the actuator that hold the pipe assembly on, seems my shaft broke right at where it enters the ball bearing nut. These actuators I do believe are
$500.00. Thats pretty expensive. Can Deere mechs. get parts for the thing? I am in need of repairing two right now. One on a 9650 and one 9760.
After them two are fixed, I am gonna take the bottom bolt out and suck the cylinder all the way closed and store them there when were in fall crops. Just seems they all get broken sooner rather than later. Some one else has surely had them break on their sts.
Have a good one,
DeereCattopher

#6 ·
Well Jdmanitoba, I don't believe anything is in a bad bind. We normally have to raise the chopper on a machine about two times in the fall to unplug discharge or the chopper. Just seems they all kink right where the stainless rod enters the black housing. Probably just me and my "pretend maintenance".
Have a good one,
DeereCattopher

#7 ·
Anyone know the manufactures name of the Linear actuator that raises the chopper on sts machines? Still in need of two but 500 bucks from dealer is a bad deal. Still seems that a torch under there with all the dust and a plastic fuel tank is a bad idea. It seems the only way to really get to the top bolt is by removing the fuel tank. The bracket that holds the top of the actuator is in place with about 6 bolts, and one of them is under the darn fuel tank. Just wish the darn thing easier to remove.
Would love to know the actuators stats to find a comparible one. Thanks for any replies again!
DeereCattopher

#8 ·
deerecattopher,
If your insurance is up to date the torch might not be such a bad idea. Have the same problem with my 9860. Dealer said motor must be getting weak. Give me a break! This thing has probably been up and down 25 times in its entire life. I don't have an MBA but I still think $20 bucks every time you decide to lift your chopper is a bit much.

#9 ·
its funny though! we take ours up and down all the time and havent broken any yet! and one of the machines got more than 4500 engine hours on it.

After we raise them, we always lower them again enough to let the weight of the chopper hang on the safety pins instead of the actuator. of course that wont prevent collision damage, but might reduce wear and tear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.