The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m dealing on some Elmer’s carts and to my surprise they make a right side unload.

Now call me tickled pink but does anyone have one of these and not like it?

We have an always folded rule anyways so that’s not an issue.

I can’t stand turning my head to the left, just to many years of pull types so I’m looking forward to looking right when unloading!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ours is to the right. Can’t understand why anyone would want it unloading to the left. Natural to turn to the right when in the seat. Controls are on the right. No brainer to me
. Because there's no time to fold cart auger when your trying to keep up to 3 or 4 Combines in high yield wheat or oats And sooner or later both the cart and combine auger will meet. The new elmers cart augers stand almost 18ft high when raised

·
Super Moderator
3,053 Posts
Saw this at AIM last year, the sales pitch seemed reasonable.
I’d have 100% confidence IF it had auto fold at sustained speed.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. Because there's no time to fold cart auger when your trying to keep up to 3 or 4 Combines in high yield wheat or oats And sooner or later both the cart and combine auger will meet. The new elmers cart augers stand almost 18ft high when raised
What time? We always fold on the move with timers on the remotes. Just bump them to fold in-out.

We always fold anyways due to a few close calls with them folded out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What time? We always fold on the move with timers on the remotes. Just bump them to fold in-out.

We always fold anyways due to a few close calls with them folded out.
Good luck with that cart lasting if your folding a 1000lb auger on the move. Hinges will not last with the twisting that will take place while your moving. It's built to fold while not moving and carts on tracks really shack when empty if ground is hard or rough

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Plus a bit of grain spills every time you fold.

Also sometimes we end up pulled alongside the truck to dump cart and combine comes in and empties at the end of the field. If it's a RH dump it ends up being opposite direction of travel and more chance for confusion.

If looking left when dumping is the worst thing one has to endure then it's a pretty cushy job.

EDIT: We have a policy of auger in when entering a field until outside rounds are done, then auger out.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I’m dealing on some Elmer’s carts and to my surprise they make a right side unload.

Now call me tickled pink but does anyone have one of these and not like it?

We have an always folded rule anyways so that’s not an issue.

I can’t stand turning my head to the left, just to many years of pull types so I’m looking forward to looking right when unloading!
It's an absolute no brainer!
The first time I saw a RH discharge I thought: "what a prick of an idea" Not until you operate one do you realise the benefits ...... as you alluded to.
All people who have operated my bin ....... the first thing they gasp at is: "the auger is on the wrong side!"
Call them on the radio after half a day ......... "yeah, it's lots easier ...... great idea"

Big diameter augers should be folded down when traversing the paddock anyway.

Oh yeah, combines unloading either side ....... yep, that'll happen one day ........ when we want to pay for it!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good enough for me!

Went to utube to watch cart videos, what did I find? Carts getting filled with the auger folded and folding on the move! :22:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wasn’t that expensive Rod
http://pami.ca/pdfs/reports_research_updates/(4c) Grain Combines and Attachments/532.PDF
Too bad it was a catastrophic mechanical disaster.
I hate to crap on those combines too much in case the Versatile groupies come out of the woodwork but yeah they were CMD’s!

Didn’t Pami tell them to go back to the drawing board the first go!

Came out in 84, Pami tested it and barfed all over it then an updated version came out in 86 that was marginally better.

Had 5 of them at one time!

·
Super Moderator
3,053 Posts
I hate to crap on those combines too much in case the Versatile groupies come out of the woodwork but yeah they were CMD’s!
Worked right beside my cousins for years, admired his fortitude in keeping that marvel running, no possible way I could or would have.
When his oldest son took over running the farm Massey SP’s quickly showed up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’m ignorant an the mechanic’s is the versatile rotary. I assume the concept was good being a rotary (in theory in those days). Why was it such a terd? Compared to a 1682 and whatever the John Deere pill type of the era was?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh it would trounce both of those in throughput, maybe both together. Just not at a reasonable amount of loss or for very long.

However I spent a lot of time fooling with them. Made a flax machine, 3/4 concave blanked. Put a 400hp tractor on it and ran it barely above idle just enough to get into the power.

Sample was like it came from a cleaning plant. Went as fast as the pickup would feed it at power limit.

Still actually have the **** thing!

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
The one we had here would turn flax into fire!

That unit had potential, just built a bit on the light side. Shoe was too big to be shaking like that and basically shook itself apart. Panels would drop 20 pounds of dust on you when opened. The thing would destroy our 1482 for capacity with a smaller tractor on it. Pretty forgiving on settings as I recall, don't think we ever changed the concave setting.

Back on topic: So you basically want RH unload so the controls are on same side as auger? Good operator should know his/her controls without looking and they are at arm's length anyway. My last warning is that if you go RH you forever eliminate the possibility of running with the auger out, that means if a hose fails or any other reason to leave the auger out you will be backing under the combine.:wink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
The one we had here would turn flax into fire!

That unit had potential, just built a bit on the light side. Shoe was too big to be shaking like that and basically shook itself apart. Panels would drop 20 pounds of dust on you when opened. The thing would destroy our 1482 for capacity with a smaller tractor on it. Pretty forgiving on settings as I recall, don't think we ever changed the concave setting.

Back on topic: So you basically want RH unload so the controls are on same side as auger? Good operator should know his/her controls without looking and they are at arm's length anyway. My last warning is that if you go RH you forever eliminate the possibility of running with the auger out, that means if a hose fails or any other reason to leave the auger out you will be backing under the combine.:wink:

In Oz 99% of operators would fold augers after unloading. I dont see a problem with it. And my old body has had enough abuse over the years to severely dislike twisting left to view auger while getting hands on the right mounted remotes. Its an ergonomic nightmare.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I think they still make hydraulic hose & fittings ....... :D
You need hydraulic power to lock the auger down ....... no matter which side it goes.

Anyway, each to their own.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Each to their own but I’ve used both and won’t change back. No problem folding the auger up or down on the move. If wait a few seconds after unloading no grain comes out either.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts