The Combine Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
We pay anywhere from $25-$35/hr and have accommodations available, problem is, guys just can't be bothered to come to work on time, or at all, could care less if I make any money or not, 98% of the employees only care that they are getting paid, they can't be bothered to actually learn about the job or ask why I spray, or why fertilizer rates are different or how much to use.

At least I think I am good to work for, I don't think it's too much to ask for a guy to actually learn the basic gps settings, or how to adjust combine settings, or knowing what alarms even mean. my employees feel that is my problem, so I need to set everything for them and they just hold the steering wheel when needed. Or if something alarms or stops working they simply stop and wait for me. And apparently burning out truck clutches every 8-12 months is kenworth's fault.

Needless to say, I need to clean house and hit the reset button. I also realized that paying a guy more will not get you better employees, you just get useless high paid employees. The best are foreign workers, they actually know they need to pay attention to their job. Local Canadians or Americans anywhere near the millennial age are USELESS. Period.

So I wish you luck, lots of luck, because it's quite hard to find decent people, as many other industries can afford to pay upwards of $35 for just warm bodies with no education. Why would any person with half a brain cell look at a farm job when you have to put in long hours and actually work.

Something is very wrong in this province were your offering 30 dollars a hour and cant find anybody. I would assume people in the rest of the country would kill to make that

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
At least I think I am good to work for, I don't think it's too much to ask for a guy to actually learn the basic gps settings, or how to adjust combine settings, or knowing what alarms even mean. my employees feel that is my problem, so I need to set everything for them and they just hold the steering wheel when needed. Or if something alarms or stops working they simply stop and wait for me.

Local Canadians or Americans anywhere near the millennial age are USELESS. Period.
I got a guy like that you talk about. I set the combine, check for losses, look at the samples and fix whatever happens. He will pay attention to the monitors and alarms but in his upper 70's isn't going to fix things, but he works for free, owns a good chunk of the ground, enjoys doing it and gave me life. Joking with a neighbor in the same position once he said "It used to be dad would send you out to the field to get something done and tell you don't tear anything up, now we send him out to the field and tell him the same thing." I really don't mind.

I'm also guilty like you... millennials... f'ing millennials. In all honesty we should group them all together, they don't all suck, just a good chunk of them suck. I've got a couple that work for me and are great help, just need motivation at times. Others just plain suck. Have guys on the FD that if they don't want to do something they just plain won't do it, entitled little bastards. Last week we were meeting will field staff in one of the hog barns with my millennial help. Field staff are all millennials, but everyone there are good workers and great people. An extremely challenged group of pigs they were complementing my caretaker and I said he does pretty good for a f'ing millennial. The area rep laughed and told me I was a f'ing millennial, I said bullshit, I'm too old for that but too young for a gen X so my era is actually a xillennial (its true, check it out).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something is very wrong in this province were your offering 30 dollars a hour and cant find anybody. I would assume people in the rest of the country would kill to make that
It isn't the money, it is the attitude of the workers these days. The good ones have their act together and already are set up with a job. Too many of those that are left want nothing to do with any sort of work that requires them to think, let alone sweat or get dirty.

My sister works at Three Mile Dairy Farm in Boardman, Oregon and wow....all the stories she has told of the upper level interns coming in from the Ag programs at OSU, WSU and UofI who last a day or so since they refuse to do anyhting that will get them dirty. Come on, you work with animals you WILL get dirty. If you cannot handle it why choose that program?

That being said, there are some good workers out there but they are few and far between. Best part about robots, they don't complain and they show up for work!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Guess I'm lucky... I have a guy who has been with me for forty years, willing worker and doesn't complain when things don't go right. His hourly wage may not be tops but he gets regular increases, paid holidays and a nice bonus at the end of the year. Never gets laid off in winter. Doesn't smoke or swear or use the F word which too many of the younger generation does these days. Nobody's perfect but it has always been my goal to treat my help like I would like to be treated, and I'll admit that some days I have to remind myself of that. I have had the other kind too... the ones that after a week were telling me how to run my business but they are long gone..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts