The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have Cummins engine the problem is with the engine translator box on processor side of the engine under the step. It is a square black box.
This box converts the analog signal from the Engine to digital for the combine. If you wait a short time with the engine running it should come back on line. If you unplug the box it will clear itself like shutting down a computer to clear the ram, this can take time to clear it. I have customers that get another translator and mount it next to the problem one and switch the harnesses between the two if one starts to give problems.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Also check your positive and ground leads under the cab on the RH side. If you can jiggle the leads there is possibly your problem. Had the same thing happen to me last week on my 65. Took off the plastic cover by the RH window and saw the problematic electric posts. Tightened it up and been smooth sailing ever since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What light do you have on? If your fuse panel is off line that is power loss at the fuse panel it self this will cause lots of things to go off line, is the problem intermittent or continues? Redline is on the right path with the power problem and I would check what he said, also check the grounds at the bottom of the cab corner under the cover that redline is talking, also check the upper ground in the fuse panel. Also check the hot wires on the power supply on the engine by the black box I talked about above, they had crimping problems with the wires. If it is continuous check the small 3 amp fuse for the power supply on the fuse panel. As redline said start jiggling wires on the power supply.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Redline & Hillside for suggestions. Most of the time it is CAN network offline. At times it will be Engine control, CAN network, fuse panel, console all offline. The night before last all these were happening at the same time & not intermittent. I stopped & pushed & pulled wires, checked all wiring for mice damage, pushed on circuit board of computer. Malfunction didn't change. It got dark so I quit working on it. Came out the next morning. Everything working fine.Cut for 4 hours yesterday & it was malfunctioning maybe a total of ten minutes. The grounds & positive terminals at cab are tight when trying to move them by hand. I will put a wrench on them as suggested.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have checked & cleaned grounds, cleaned positive posts under cab. tightened grounds in cab. If I manipulate the console that the hydro lever is on, it will sometimes affect what it does. If anyone has anymore ideas, I would sure be grateful. Man this is frustrating.

·
Registered
370 Posts
somehow that manipulation of the console indicates a wire or connection /continuity issue, most all of the new ecm and monitoring systems used rely on a 5vdc input output/reference to work, thus grounds and power wires and their integrity are of utmost importance. i searched for 2 years on a dickey john planting system with an intermittent issue where the airstream would plug up under random conditions. end result was simply an elastic band looking component that was used in the multipin connectors as a tensioning device to ensure alignment and contact of the pins. literally looked like a rubber band 3/4 inch diameter and just like you would put on a ponytail. it was missing in one of the numerous connectors between the consoles and sensors. one spot where the right angle and bump would cause a momentary loss of signal, and then the system goes into hyperdrive thinking the output drive has stopped, thus plugging the whole system. as you are looking for a needle in the haystack, you must not assume anything, and prove the power and ground connections do not just look god and tight, but that they are electrically intact and have no loss, as well as the wiring. the moving console obviously points to a wire or connection or rub through idea...maybe i can lend you one of 23 pairs of reading glasses, i am sure my wife would love to get rid of a few pair... you are on the right track, just keep following and proving the facts, document anything you notice and sometimes the obvious is overlooked as well. computers hate inconsistent voltages, and most all will not work if there are variations by literally shutting down and curling into a ball in milliseconds, and then perhaps rebooting and starting up, but after so many cycles they will sh-t the bed and die. in the gas compression industry waukesha engines brought out an ecm control that was extremely rugged and hardened[ to the tune of 40,000 bucks for the ecm] that we troubleshot several failures on, and eventually recognized that big solenoid valve for fluid and gas controls were causing extreme voltage spikes not when they were turned on, but when they were turned off by sending a reverse dc voltage caused by the collapse of the field winding of the electromagnet[ like when your coil on a gas engine fires and sends a spark to the plug]. the ecm could only take so many shots before it sh-t the bed and gave up.. the bits and bytes were all turned to ****s and shytes i guess. we did solve the issue with a 75 cent piece on each solenoid, but only after several 40 grand ecm's were incapacitated and the factory was pulling out their hair..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After working on this for many hours, I am convinced that the main computer (or card) is the problem. I think that changes that happened when I moved the console were coincidence. I am an auto mechanic by trade & have worked on many electrical problems on cars that had wiring or connector problems. Since I could get not get a consistent response when I moved the wires, I'm sure it is not wiring. I have checked with the local dealer on the availability of the part & none of it's 11 locations in Kansas stocks it. So I'm wondering if these never go bad or if they are to costly to stock. Does anyone have experience with these cards failing & replacing them? Or how often they fail? Saw a program sometime back that shows how what is called "tin whiskers" grow on integrated circuits & causes all kinds of problems. Not saying that this is the problem here, it was just interesting to see what happens to electronics over time. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to read about my problem & respond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.