The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when you take of the very problamatic piece of **** fan drive on the 9 liter engine and you inspect the gear that drives the fan drive, you notice that 9 out of ten times that gear has moved towards the side of the engine housing and many times it is already touching and wearing into the side.I'm not quite sure but I think the snapring or bearing that holds or supports that gear is failing because the rad fan on these things are so huge and there is a lot of preasure and torque on the bearing and snap ring, and the engine will seize.2 years ago we had an engine go out because of this when the machines didn't have to many hours, but upon recent inspection our dealer has notice this on a quite a few machines when they were changing the fan drives.There is a update to this problem that cost 20 grand that the customer has to pay for.We had to do 2 machines mid harvest or the engines would have gone out,( i know of 5 other machines this had to be done too) the other two (one that has had the engine go out because of this) are a ticking time bomb.Deere must know that there is a problem because there is a fix and I believe 2016 or 2017 s670's and newer have this update. But i think Deere should pay for this they are telling us and everyone else not in these exact words,go screw yourselves. As if there weren't enough issues with the fan drives.
Has anyone on here with s670's seen this or have an engine go out. Guys have you dealers check or just take of the fan drive and check yourselves, you will save you engine and many other problems. And if you find this problem complain to the dealer so that Deere stands behind their customers LIKE THEY ALWAYS PROMISE AND ADVERTISE. Talk is cheap john deere now give a **** and fix it,or CLASS will thank you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wondering if no one has seen or heard of this issue or if it is just in our area for some reason?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't run Deere but yes piles of people with 9L fan issues. Nothing cheap about it that's for sure. Lots of things you can spend $20,000 on a combine. You just don't expect it to be the part that should be bullet proof for 1000's of hrs. 400 hr machines have had fan issues.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Haven't had any fan issues with 9L in the past. I will be inspecting mine now though.
So how big of a job to inspect?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't had any fan issues with 9L in the past. I will be inspecting mine now though.
So how big of a job to inspect?
It's mostly on the s670 combines because the rad fan is so huge and puts so much torque on the engine fan driver gear bearing setup,not much to inspect, take of engine fan drive off and inspect the gear on the engine side that actually drives the fan drive.There should be a gap between that gear and the engine sidewall,very likely that that gear has slid over and there is no gap or it is already wearing into the side,if it gets bad enough the engine will seize.They have seen this issue on some 8r's but more on s670's

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is this a different setup from the STUPID 13.5L fan drives in 9870's? Those are happening everywhere, 1000-2000 hours. $18000 for ours, neighbors went in 2019 also. Dealership has done several.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
$18000 for a fan. That’s absurd. Did it take the rad out too. That’s still twice what it should cost.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This just makes me happy to own a 9500.....IDK if the entire engine and radiator would cost $20K to replace!

·
Registered
822 Posts
$18000 for a fan. That’s absurd. Did it take the rad out too. That’s still twice what it should cost.
Both rads, $5000 each, fan shroud, fan itself, new fan shaft housing complete, belt, one tightener. balance labor

·
Registered
822 Posts
This just makes me happy to own a 9500.....IDK if the entire engine and radiator would cost $20K to replace!
9500 and 9600 had a perfect setup, but always need to upgrade, not always better.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The Gleaner charge air cooler is $1300 but the rad is $5200. I wonder what an after market air cooler would be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts