The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering what oil u guys use for your auger engines, I have always used 5w30, I checked the oil this morning and it was a touch low so I grabbed the jug of 5w30 out of the unheated shop (-29c) it got me thinking about running a 0w30 synthetic year round, I only change oil in the summer , and in July 5w30 seems to make sense...

Oh and this auger probably gets 80% of its use in -15c or colder days.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I don't tend to use our gas mounted auger engine that often in what we think of as hot summer weather ether so mostly its cooler summer temps or winter time so I've always run 0w-30 in our 30 horse Kohler. If I was doing a lot more summer augering I would switch over to 0w-40, synthetics don't break down as fast when pushed with high operating temperatures in air cooled engines and these engines don't take much oil for an oil change anyway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Been using 0W30 for probably 20 years.16 horse kohler and V4 wisconsin.way better than the 10-30 I used before that.much easier startups

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
0-30 syn year round. easier starts in winter.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
0-40 year round usually in the auger engines, just depending when they get changed. We even run 0-40 year round in the one highway tractor that we pull the water trailer with for our sprayer. It doesn't see many miles a year and atleast that way we can start it up during the winter if we have to for a spare on a grain trailer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We use Amsoil Powersport 10w40. I has the ability to still pour at extremely low temps. Yes it is expensive, but comparing to a new engine, it is cheap.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Synthetic 0w40, makes for easier starts in winter and should provide good protection in the heat. I use it in all small engines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
5w - 30 syn in all auger engines, pump motors and gas engine pickups all year round. have had no issues at all, great starting in cold weather:) we use 5w - 40 syn in the diesel pickups and yard tractors with the same results.:)

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I'm bringing up an old thread but for good reason.

You guys that say you use 0W40 in your auger engines, is it DMO (Diesel Motor Oil) 0W40? Any of my suppliers only have 0W40 in a diesel version not gas.
I was planning on switching to 0W30 Synthetic for all year round on all my augers. Shouldn't be an issue with this?

I have a 30HP Vangaurd on a Wheatheart 10x41 and the Manual shows to use 5W30 in -30C temps. I think 0W30 Synthetic would still be better wouldn't it be?

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have a 39HP Kohler on a 10/41 Wheatheart, and a Robin on an 8/51. Have been running 0W40 in both year round. They run lots in hot and cold weather. They start well at minus 25. We also run 0W40 in the 2 tandem engines year round and our old IH186 with a blade. Anything that has to run in winter. Love that oil. Makes life a lot easier. None of the engines ever burn oil. West Central Sask

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts

You guys that say you use 0W40 in your auger engines, is it DMO (Diesel Motor Oil) 0W40? Any of my suppliers only have 0W40 in a diesel version not gas.
I was planning on switching to 0W30 Synthetic for all year round on all my augers. Shouldn't be an issue with this?

I have a 30HP Vangaurd on a Wheatheart 10x41 and the Manual shows to use 5W30 in -30C temps. I think 0W30 Synthetic would still be better wouldn't it be?
I think you are good with that in a gas engine. I use 0W40 synthetic in anything diesel here that runs in the winter, including the Kubota diesel on the auger.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Shouldn't be an issue. You can get 0-W40 oil for 4 stroke snowmobiles if you don't want to use DMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts