The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a JD 9660 STS combine with about 1000 on the engine. I ask about the crank on this combine engine. I was told not to be concerned about it because it had made it past 300 hours. He said there where two company that made the crank and that you had a good chance that it had the better crank in it. What do you guys think about this The price is right. but no warranty

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think a GOOD dealer would KNOW if the engine serail # was in the clear.

I must be having a bad month, haven't had much good to say about the local red, blue, and green dealers lately. LAZY!

Maybe Im just getting the spring itch?

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have a 9760sts with over 600 engine hours, two seasons on the machine. We were told that it was going to receive a new crank before wheat harvest in July. I would get the serial number and check with another dealer to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldn't go near that machine either, without some documentation that it has the "good" crank in it.
I agree with b575 - tell the salesman that you aint buying untill you see some papers on it -> there's no problem for him in getting that info...

I say there's two reasons: Either he's lazy or he's trying to hide something from you...!

Your Deere mechanic from overseas

·
Registered
53 Posts
For a purchase of this magnitude in price, that is not a correct answer. If he shows you a sheet with Deere corporate letterhead showing the range of serial numbers affected by the bad cranks, proving that this machine falls in or out of it, then you may want to start talking. However, if he isn't upfront like this from the start, I'd move on. STS 9660s are a dime a dozen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts