The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 1640 Cummins letting go soon and a 1460 International with bad body cancer but great runner. Besides the side by side swap of permanent items, anybody clue me in of catastrophic difficulties of this changeover? Harness modifications I know, but retaining motormounts with engines should land it darn close in the eng bay imo. TY for any help here as time to get in is nearing for this W wheat.
Charlie

·
Registered
124 Posts
I swapped a cummins 8.3 out of a 1680 and put an international frpm a 1680 in it, turned out to be a ton of work. I used the entire engine and PTO along with the mounting rails had to drill a few new holes for the engine mount, the radiator and oil cooler was different also I kept the cummins radiator and oil cooler. It would have been next to impossible to do if i hadn't had a donor combine I was parting out, but with that all said it has run just fine for the last three years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY, and after posting i kinda stood back and looked at the big picture, so to speak. I'm seeing the two angle iron "rails" the rad., eng., and PTO/ Hydro drive mount on and the round cannon plug on electrical harness that makes adding power train from factory based on a customer's request stupid-simple to ammend. Correct is the associated air end changes( shroud, coolers, overflow/reservoir, ether assist, doors, and outside panel). Choosing to snatch motor only and sleeve, J&B weld, and duck tape! Off the top of your head or if you may have a schematic pdf to share, does motor to pto via spline or key simply slide apart or is there a flange type bolted connection Iike on a flex plate accessible thru lil plate on bellhousing

·
Registered
124 Posts
The two PTO's will not swap they are different, the international motor one is shorter I had to change the hydro lines from where they split on the side of the combine I left the lower half but changed the ones going into the hydro pump and the belt that comes out of the hydro pump is different from the international motor and the cummins motor, also the pulley that that belt goes to will have to be changed. Like I said if I hadn't had a the other combine I was parting out it would have been impossible to do without spending a lot of money, I even ended up swapping the throttle cable

1 - 4 of 4 Posts