The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, English guy with upto date CDL with doubles and triples, came over on H2A in 2010-2013, didn't do the harvest, did coast to coast OTR hauling all sorts of crops in a hopper, clocking up 100k miles a year, would love to do this again, but not sure i should have been doing it on the H2A, i love the miles, but anything CDL on a harvest crew would be good, i know the mid west like the back of my hand, already have SS number and american bank account, just need the H2A

i have a couple of younger friends looking for their first harvest job as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
I look into hiring foreign guys as truck driver a few years ago. The problem in Wisconsin is you need to be a resident to get a CDL. So how do you get a CDL if you don't live here. Even had a guy that had a CDL in Europe, but that did matter because first you needed to be a resident.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got my CDL in ND, but i just looked on the Wisconsin Gov site and it looks to be basically the same, you would need I129, I94 and passport, this is all stuff you would have from sorting H2A, all i need to renew each time is just the I94

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Surely bj928 your CDL expired when your H2A ended, as thats the case with all the guys I send from the UK work on harvest ? and it has to be re issued when you go back on another H2A as long as its within 18 months of your last H2A ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it did run out, but i went back late last summer and renewed it on a tourist visa, and so now as soon as i land i can renew again, i see that as still having a valid CDL all be it needs a quick renewal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they were happy to renew mine on tourist visa, all they wanted from me was my I94 and my passport, I94 is now available online and has a reference number, all they needed was the reference number so they could access the I94 on their system, i believe they will only renew within a year of it running out, so mine has run out 6th dec 2014, as long as i visit before 6th dec 2015 i can renew, this is ND, may be different in other states

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Question, if you did coast to coast on an H2A this was illegal as thats an Agricultural only visa, you should at best been on an H2B, who was your H2A Agricultural assigned to as you can only work for that person/company on that Visa ? in Agriculture ? Not being funny but I recruit guys to go on Harvest in the USA and know a little about this ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at the time i was told it was fine doing the coast to coast as long as i only haul farm related loads, and if needed i would be called to go on the harvest if they needed extra drivers, but i think they may have been telling me lies, but they liked the miles i was putting in and the money i was earning them, and as they're not using H2A drivers for OTR work i think they may have got caught, i can't name and shame though as i enjoyed working there, basically they got to many CDL H2A drivers and put the spares on the road

·
Registered
450 Posts
at the time i was told it was fine doing the coast to coast as long as i only haul farm related loads, and if needed i would be called to go on the harvest if they needed extra drivers, but i think they may have been telling me lies, but they liked the miles i was putting in and the money i was earning them, and as they're not using H2A drivers for OTR work i think they may have got caught, i can't name and shame though as i enjoyed working there, basically they got to many CDL H2A drivers and put the spares on the road
That's all very well until something serious happens like a bad road accident etc etc.
The company will then drop you like a stone and you may well find your getting sued for every penny you'll EVER earn or maybe a spell in the "clink"!!!!!!!!:eek:

NOT worth it!!!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Bigtruck, it was the company you put me onto a few years ago, the one you worked for starting with an A, apparently they have gone bankrupt now, so looking else where for work.
They were at that spare harvest driver goes "OTR" when I was there too,
would say its HIGHLY illegal when on H2A!!!!

Think they've been "bankrupt" before but with the Farm/Trucking/Harvest divisions something always gets sorted out.
Would say the dire harvest down among the Southern wheat belt states last year would put anybodies "lights-out".:(

"Custom cutting" is as cut-throat over there in USA as the "Agri-Contracting" is here in the UK!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.