The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a Willmar 750 and might have a line on a 7650 Spra Coupe for a good deal. Just wondering how the drive setup works in the 7650 as I won't be able to field test it. From what I understand it's a 6 speed powershift with a torque converter.

Couple questions:

1. Does the powershift have an auto shift mode similar to a wheel loader? (We have a 928G loader and I assume it would shift similar?)

2. Does the torque converter handle hills good? I have several that I cannot climb as I spin out in low range and torque out in high range.

3. Are the drop boxes much maintenance?

4. If you have switched from a mechanical to hydro or vice versa, what are the differences? And which did you prefer.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I am currently running a Willmar 750 and might have a line on a 7650 Spra Coupe for a good deal. Just wondering how the drive setup works in the 7650 as I won't be able to field test it. From what I understand it's a 6 speed powershift with a torque converter.

Couple questions:

1. Does the powershift have an auto shift mode similar to a wheel loader? (We have a 928G loader and I assume it would shift similar?)

2. Does the torque converter handle hills good? I have several that I cannot climb as I spin out in low range and torque out in high range.

3. Are the drop boxes much maintenance?

4. If you have switched from a mechanical to hydro or vice versa, what are the differences? And which did you prefer.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.
I have no personal experience with the 7650 but a friend has one and likes it a lot. He is in extreme hills and it gets around very well. I believe he chipped it to give it a little more juice for hill climbing. He also put bigger rear tires on as he was in a very wet area for a couple years. My sprayer is a 7830 Redball , more commonly known as Versatile SX275. It has the 6.8 JD 275 HP engine, 3000 Allison 5 spd with upshift limiter and Fairfield HD drop legs. I really like the sprayer and it has amazing positive power to the rear wheels. When you limit the tranny to 2nd gear and have the engine running about 17-1800 RPM it has enough power to go through mud and climb all but the worst hills at about 10 - 12 mph. I think you would be amazed at how much more power you can use that is not lost in the hydro. It is a very fuel efficient way to spray and the best part is the simplicity of the whole drive system. Kind of like a truck powertrain. These dropboxes are really durable and simple looking. I could put you in touch with the guy I know with the 7650 if interested. PS I run 710 x 42 Michelins on the back and really think it will go anywhere a 4x4 will go. As I was saying, it will climb all but the steepest hills loaded in 2nd gear but if you shift to 1st I have never seen anything it will not climb or chew through.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks transaxial.

That's the kind of info I was looking for. Those Redball sprayers look real well built and simple. Just wanted to make sure the mechanical drive wasn't a step back from a hydro.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
I just purchased a 7830 redball with under 1000 hours on it a couple weeks ago. Its already dualed up on the rear, I specifically wanted a mechanical sprayer similiar to my 4660 spra coupe. I didnt even consider a hydro sprayer and the component style of the redball was appealing.

· Registered
151 Posts
We are on our third Spra Coupe, none have been the 7 series mind you but we have had great experience with these sprayers. Have always found them reliable and easy to maintain. I have always thought the read diff on our 4660 was a weak point, it's small and runs hot so I change the oil very regular and have had no trouble. The drop boxes are the same no trouble. Anyone I have talked to with mechanical drive sprayers likes how they climb, nothing handier than a hydrostat though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.