The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrŕrrr. Is there a way to permanently stop this annoying mobile version of the site from popping up on my phone? I want desktop view, and hate having to search and click through menus to get it each and every time I visit.ðŸ˜Â* Bloody'ell!

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I just have a bookmark set on my homepage from when I'm on the desktop site at active topics. It always opens on active topics in desktop. Am I alone in keeping this pathway open? I haven't allowed any software updates on my iPhone for a long time and don't intend to allow any.

You would likely have to delete any mobile app for the site or it may hijack the page request.

It should open like this almost instantly.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That might work haystack for a lot of people. I am in poor coverage area and once opened, if I lose signal, the pos always goes back to the mobile mode. What a PIA. I have an iPhone 5 and haven't updated either. Fn frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
This is what I just tried with someone's iPhone 5, my own happens to be a 4's they are each using different versions of software.

On the 5 that had never been logged into the site, I went to The Combine Form by using a google search. This took it directly to the desktop version. I then chose active topics from a page button on the the home page showing.

This displayed the active topics page. Then press the folder appearing icon with the curved arrow in it located in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen. A page of icons for options should appear, but not likely the one you need. Touch the screen and flip it to your left to the next page.

On that page there should be an Add To Home Screen icon. Touch that icon, this should display a page with the option to Add or Cancel and you can also edit the name if you like, but only a few characters will be visible later. Touch Add and it will be done.

You can get rid of any icon on your home screen pages that are not part of the phone's software by touching on the icon for a few seconds until it begins to jiggle. Press the small x on the corner of the one you want to delete. A message will appear asking delete or cancel, press delete to get rid of it. To stop the icons from jiggling press the round control button front and centre at the power cord side or bottom of the phone.

I put this book mark on the home page of the iPhone 5 and put it in and out of airplane mode 10 times and logged in 5 times. Each time it went directly to the desk top version of active topics.

Make sure there aren't any other apps or homepage bookmarks for the same site left on the phone. Other than that, I'm mystified.

The only other thing I can think of is neither of these phones has a google mobile app installed because I refuse to use it. They just have google set as a homepage bookmark the same as I have described so any site entered through google just thinks it's a computer. ;)

So if you have to delete your google app, I guess you would have to type in www.google.ca/ , or com/ as the case may be and create a homepage bookmark as described earlier. Or you likely can click on the google link that formed in the above sentence by accident, do a combine forum search, and create the bookmark for the page you want.

On f**k it just use this link and bookmark it on your homepage. Lol

http://www.thecombineforum.com/index.php?page=active_topics

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have the active topics bookmarked and it goes to desktop site most times. The odd time it will ask me if I want to go to mobile site instead. I just click cancel and it opens as it should in desktop veiw. This is on an iPhone 6 with latest software installed

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I just have a bookmark set on my homepage from when I'm on the desktop site at active topics. It always opens on active topics in desktop. Am I alone in keeping this pathway open? I haven't allowed any software updates on my iPhone for a long time and don't intend to allow any.

You would likely have to delete any mobile app for the site or it may hijack the page request.

It should open like this almost instantly.

This also works on my Android.:)

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I notice in the above posts most of you seem to be using the active posts section. I always use the new posts section as it seems if I haven't been on for a few days that the active posts section does not have anywhere near the posts showing compared to the new posts section. Is there something I am doing wrong or missing here?

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I would say you're doing the right thing for your situation, but if you come on often the active topics can be checked from the top down to where you last checked on things with a quick glance.
Thanks. I usually try to come on at least once a day but if busy in field or wherever sometimes go a day or two. I only come on on the computer as I agree, the mobile app sucks so I just don't bother with it. I find the regular computer version too small and inconvenient on the phone also.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
There is a significant difference in what you can do with the desktop view depending on what phone you have. Even the smallest iPhones like the 4's can expand the view with an opposit pinch motion on the screen to the point that only a word or two would take up the entire screen, but anything very large requires scrolling.

To have the full width of a line in a post and a few lines in length with the phone sideways is likely aproaching the limits of many people's vision for font size. I think one of the new very large size phones will be in my future for that reason. There are some very impressive older models with large screens that are impressive too. Carrying any of them is going to be a bit challenging for active people.

I'm always impressed how apple phones do complex tasks online with such ease, but there are lots of good brands out there.

On phones with smaller screens like a traditional BlackBerry you can adjust the minimum font size and type of font in the settings. This can make a huge difference, but if the font gets too big it can cause some page rendering problems that the software can't figure out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.