The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone grow the ethanol variety’s of wheat ? We grew sadash long time ago but wondering if anyone has tried the newer variety’s like aac Andrew or AAC chiffon or AAC awesome ? I’m wondering what everyone’s yields were like with these variety’s and wondering if it’s worth switching over my acres from hrsw to a high yielding feed wheat thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
To add on to that, has the fusarium resistance improved in the new varieties. I know lots was grown in our area 10 years ago, but most quit due to fusarium problems

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
We switched from HRS years ago to Sadash and never looked back. Unless you can grow high protein HRS it makes more sense for us to grow feed. 8-10 bu more yield.
I grew a 1/4 of cert seed of Paramoumt. Was not impressed will be sticking with Sadash

·
Registered
704 Posts
We switched from HRS years ago to Sadash and never looked back. Unless you can grow high protein HRS it makes more sense for us to grow feed. 8-10 bu more yield.
I grew a 1/4 of cert seed of Paramoumt. Was not impressed will be sticking with Sadash
What were you not impressed with the Paramount in comparison?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
No I was not.
It had a 60bu stand and went 45 on chemfollow. Not to complain in my area that’s a hell of a crop but we had some Sadash on chemfollow that went 60-70.
The other thing is tour only suppose to use the seed for one year since it’s 10% Andrew being wheat midge tolerant. We don’t have wheat midge
Another outfit grew it close to me and I talked to the guy who helped combine it. They were not impressed either

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
We sell quite a bit of feed-quality wheat (winter wheat, CPS or GP varieties of spring wheat) and sell it all to Country Commodities in Lethbridge. Some of it goes to feed lots, some to the feed mills, and some goes into ethenol production. The ethanol plant doesn't seem to care what kind of wheat we send them, as long as it doesn't have high dockage. The truck driver that often picks it up says it all makes good whiskey.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No I was not.
It had a 60bu stand and went 45 on chemfollow. Not to complain in my area that’s a hell of a crop but we had some Sadash on chemfollow that went 60-70.
The other thing is tour only suppose to use the seed for one year since it’s 10% Andrew being wheat midge tolerant. We don’t have wheat midge
Another outfit grew it close to me and I talked to the guy who helped combine it. They were not impressed either
Sadash is a VB variety as well for wheat midge I thought, so only suppose to keep seed for 1 year. Unless I am mistaken.
Grew Sadash this year and it had straw for 100 bu and only ran 70-80...didn't run any better than the hrs...try it again this year with a bit more N and see if bushels better.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Nope not Sadash unless they updated it. Been using the same seed for 5-7 years. Have a friend that swears by the Pashure(sp). Tried it once but it’s a 5 days longer growing season and soft white is bad enough

·
Registered
68 Posts
We used to grow all sadash but the straw was getting to be to much .. switched over to penhold and it seems to yield the same for us and we can still sell it to the ethanol plant but half the time the elevator pays more so the marketing flexibility is nice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts