The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a move to a European style combination drill such as the Lemken Solitair 9. Horsch also has the Pronto model. I think those are the only 2 options I have dealers for around here, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this concept and how they like it.

Currently running a Great Plains 40' drill that has been good but, I don't like the seed placement - especially behind any tire - tractor or drill. I like the idea of taking out my pre-plant pass and I love the idea of having no tire tracks in the field which always look bad. That being said, I don't know if they have actually cost me anything as I never see them from the seat of the combine.

Typically, in the spring, I go in with a field cultivator and follow with my drill. In the fall I have tried a similar approach without a lot of success (I deal with heavy residue and I don't like to bale). The approach I've been most successful with is the old moldboard plow followed with a light disk/seed prep pass and then drill.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I was seriously looking into the same thing a couple years ago. It would eliminate a pre-seed sprayer pass and deal with early flush herbicide resistant kochia, all while warming the soil. But the Horsch rep talked me out of buying a Pronto because (according to him) these types of machines can't seed through standing stubble.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Interesting. Have a pottinger dealer here and sounds like he’s going to demo a Terrasem. The soil is mostly clay loam in this area so can’t wait to see how it’ll make out. It would be nice if a contraption such as this would work on our ground. Being a diversified farm it would make more economic sense to have a seeder that could handle 1500 to 2000 acres of crop and only require a fwa that could be put to other jobs like baling, hauling bales, or even feeding if necessary. Currently I run a 425hp tractor and 40’ drill. I put no more than 200hrs a year on it. Sure it’ll last me for 20 years but is it really efficient?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The Pottinger Terrasem is the top of my list when looking at the Euro drills. The only thing I don’t like about any of them is the small tanks. It’s a trade off I guess.
Snapper22 you’re going to need some power to pull one of those drills. When talking to the pottinger guys they weren’t sure a 425hp tractor was going to be enough in my conditions for the big drill.
For reference I pull an 52’ 1820 with 2320 tank with no effort, and a 26’ Lemken Rubin 9 absolutely works the **** out of my tractors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Pottinger Terrasem is the top of my list when looking at the Euro drills. The only thing I don’t like about any of them is the small tanks. It’s a trade off I guess.
Snapper22 you’re going to need some power to pull one of those drills. When talking to the pottinger guys they weren’t sure a 425hp tractor was going to be enough in my conditions for the big drill.
For reference I pull an 52’ 1820 with 2320 tank with no effort, and a 26’ Lemken Rubin 9 absolutely works the **** out of my tractors.
What do you like about the Pottinger - not an option for me since I don't have a dealer but I'm curious, they all look the same from what I see except the Lemken has an additional roller in front of the seed unit. The dealer acts like that roller is the heart and soul of the drill but, other than that, the Pottinger, Horsch, Vaaderstad all look nearly identical in philosophy.

You are right about the Lemkens requiring a ton of power - I'm pulling my 6M Rubin 12 trying to go shallow - 4" and it's a workout for the 8360R. We use the 9530 in the fall on it trying to go deeper.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Interesting. Have a pottinger dealer here and sounds like he’s going to demo a Terrasem. The soil is mostly clay loam in this area so can’t wait to see how it’ll make out. It would be nice if a contraption such as this would work on our ground. Being a diversified farm it would make more economic sense to have a seeder that could handle 1500 to 2000 acres of crop and only require a fwa that could be put to other jobs like baling, hauling bales, or even feeding if necessary. Currently I run a 425hp tractor and 40’ drill. I put no more than 200hrs a year on it. Sure it’ll last me for 20 years but is it really efficient?
I have my name on their list for a demo if they can get this far with one. There is also a colony near by very interested in them so that might make it happen.
I have seeded canola and mustard with my salford 2200 with optional mounted Valmar and shanks with spikes for a little more disturbance. Sort of a make shift terrasem with no packers. Crop came up pretty even and would have been better yet if I would have rolled it. I can see how the Terrasem would work.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I like the row spacing, the small seed 3rd tank that integrates into the unit, the way it folds up so a fat guy like me can work on the seeding units. The electronics look simple enough for my Dad to run. It looks pretty well built. The biggest plus for me is eliminating a pass with another tillage tool and operator, Dad isn’t going to want to help forever.

Cons would be the small tanks, but that’s a con for all of them. Distance to service and parts is also a problem for me.

I haven’t seen any other brands up close, so my opinion is biased. I also haven’t run one, but have seen a few fields planted with them that looked really nice.

Snipe if you ever do get a demo I’d appreciate being able to attend. I assume you’re near Cornerstone sales, i’m 6hrs from Regina but would make the trip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we like the pottinger drills because they have the narrow row spacing and the high speed capabilities they work wonders in canola and other small grains and forage crops. we have a dealer nearby though, Lloydminster has youngs agriservice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Young’s had one winged up by the dealership last time I was on that side of town. Hope they demo on the same clay we farm cause if it goes there it’ll work anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts