The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol ever have one of them years? we were so wet and cold so when we couldn't plant dad said to go spray but I didn't want to make ruts with the sprayer. if I could travel across with the sprayer then I should be trying to plant. so I waited and now I am fighting weeds. early on I could have gotten more planted but I wanted to be safe. with the goofy weather I didn't trust late april planting for fear of late frost. turns out I should have. I had a couple little fields of alfalfa. it was thick as hair on the dog. couldn't give it away so I did a chemical burn down and put corn in. corn is great looking but now I have had several contacts looking for hay. lol

told wife next year no matter what I say don't let me do anything before we put down a pre emerge on all acres. got to learn something from this year.lol

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I think you should tell the wife that you hear "weed" is all the new rage in Canada so you figured you should get a jump on that scene, gives a whole new meaning to "smoke them weeds good" :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
This year it seemed every decision turned out right. Beautiful uniform crop coming, plenty of inputs, chemicals worked well, rotation even favored higher priced commodities... and then the rain faltered, and now one hot week behind us and 2 weeks of 30 to 37 degree temps ahead of us and wind today and tomorrow at 50 kms. There went the banner year. Don't beat yourself up too bad for making your decisions with the knowledge available at the time. Mother Nature makes fools of us all. Don't recall where I read/heard this but here it is. Humans have 2 defense mechanisms. Fight or flight. Plants have dozens of defense mechanism's. Watching cereal plants cup their leaves and stand erect to be as small a target as possible to the sun is very intriguing. Canola leaves flop over to reject suns rays. Plants have their own ways to fight off disease, infections, pests, we maybe get to help with some potion or other but a healthy crop can withstand quite a bit. Don't mean to sound like a nut job, but it looks to me like the plants are not quitting yet!

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
This year it seemed every decision turned out right. Beautiful uniform crop coming, plenty of inputs, chemicals worked well, rotation even favored higher priced commodities... and then the rain faltered, and now one hot week behind us and 2 weeks of 30 to 37 degree temps ahead of us and wind today and tomorrow at 50 kms. There went the banner year. Don't beat yourself up too bad for making your decisions with the knowledge available at the time. Mother Nature makes fools of us all. Don't recall where I read/heard this but here it is. Humans have 2 defense mechanisms. Fight or flight. Plants have dozens of defense mechanism's. Watching cereal plants cup their leaves and stand erect to be as small a target as possible to the sun is very intriguing. Canola leaves flop over to reject suns rays. Plants have their own ways to fight off disease, infections, pests, we maybe get to help with some potion or other but a healthy crop can withstand quite a bit. Don't mean to sound like a nut job, but it looks to me like the plants are not quitting yet!

John

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That's the thing with farming, there is no "silver bullet" no "program" that is perfect year after year. What works great this year can be a disaster next year. One guy seeds into the dust expecting rain and his neighbour seed into moisture 2" deep. It rains and the guy who seeded shallow is the hero and his neighbour the village idiot. It doesn't rain and it's the other way around. Don't beat yourself up. Make your best call and hope that the weather cooperates. It's all one can do.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Just be thankful you have only done it one year...i'm pretty good at getting a fair bit wrong in most years lol!! but the lessons learned invaluable...errr...

Ant...

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Some years are like that, we don't work in a controlled environment.

Just be careful not to over-react to what just happened last year/last month/last week because no two years are the same. You need to keep in mind the averages and reconcile it with what you see going on right now....then make a gut call based on your short, medium and long term goals and live with it. Nobody is perfect.:wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how can Alberta be that hot and dry and in east central Mn. be that cold and wet? I find weather very interesting.

this spring kicked a lot of butts and with very low commodity price futures made a lot of guys feeling defeated. we are getting some heat this week. pretty much had no 80 degree temps in june and a lot of clouds. now the last few days have been hot and sunny and the crops are jumping in growth and getting more green by the day!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
win some you loose some, bean hero in the area and our corn sucks ****, like badly i dunno what went wrong yet but seems to be cold chill damage in the corn.
Spray damage in our own canola from corn herbicide so ya and the good looking fields farm from home, planted canola 1/4 deep and never got a rain, early.... list goes on. You woulda sprayed and saw tracks al year you woulda been pissed too.

No year is the same although 2012 would be nice to come back

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sure questioning my decision to plant conventional beans this spring but feel that Xtend is going to end up being Roundup 2.0 in a few years... Might have to give LL beans a try next year instead.

I knew from the start weed control would be a bit tougher, combined with no-tilling in a bunch of them makes weed control from the start very important. Last year had a conventional field that stayed very clean all year, so decided to use the same pre-emerge herbicide on all my bean acres this year.

Since I no-tilled a bunch those fields got some Roundup mixed in for burndown but that didn't seem to work very well for whatever reason, and the co-op apparently sprayed last week but doesn't look like it did anything either. Going to be a disgruntled customer chat with them about the weed control wreck now unfolding. Stupid part is last year we did all the post emerge spraying ourselves and had great results, this year they did it and looks like the worst spray job ever. Short of chemical interactions negating the herbicide effects, I doubt they even used the one herbicide post emerge we did last year that we always use for waterhemp control... Would have seen telltale burnt leaves on beans from it but not so in our case.

Other than that debacle everything else seems to be turning out as expected with the conditions, crops have a long ways to go (had corn starting to silk last year this time...) but if we get some daytime heat with cooler nights and small shots of rain corn still got some potential. Wishful thinking I know but hoping that is what happens. Glad I decided to plant earlier maturing corn this year though, I won't care if it somehow gets ahead of normal and I'm out picking corn 1-2 weeks early.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This thread could pick up some steam!

In my case I planted strictly high water use crops due to the past so many years and my current saline seep problems. To go with that I was late on my spring burndown with the intent of letting things grow just in case we get our usual springtime monsoon... 2 inches of total precip this year and my decisions that I was so confident in have backfired.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Sure questioning my decision to plant conventional beans this spring but feel that Xtend is going to end up being Roundup 2.0 in a few years... Might have to give LL beans a try next year instead.

I knew from the start weed control would be a bit tougher, combined with no-tilling in a bunch of them makes weed control from the start very important. Last year had a conventional field that stayed very clean all year, so decided to use the same pre-emerge herbicide on all my bean acres this year.

Since I no-tilled a bunch those fields got some Roundup mixed in for burndown but that didn't seem to work very well for whatever reason, and the co-op apparently sprayed last week but doesn't look like it did anything either. Going to be a disgruntled customer chat with them about the weed control wreck now unfolding. Stupid part is last year we did all the post emerge spraying ourselves and had great results, this year they did it and looks like the worst spray job ever. Short of chemical interactions negating the herbicide effects, I doubt they even used the one herbicide post emerge we did last year that we always use for waterhemp control... Would have seen telltale burnt leaves on beans from it but not so in our case.

Other than that debacle everything else seems to be turning out as expected with the conditions, crops have a long ways to go (had corn starting to silk last year this time...) but if we get some daytime heat with cooler nights and small shots of rain corn still got some potential. Wishful thinking I know but hoping that is what happens. Glad I decided to plant earlier maturing corn this year though, I won't care if it somehow gets ahead of normal and I'm out picking corn 1-2 weeks early.
I will not be planting RR beans next year. Either going LL or Xtend or both. Freaking train wreck here. Either clean till or no till into cover crop.

No till program 32 oz Roundup burn down, 5 Oz sonic pre, 3.5 pt flex star gt spiked with 16 oz roundup 1 pt medal for residual. That all failed to control water hemp. Came back with 12.5 oz cobra and 3# AMS which slowed it down but didn't kill it. Deployed the row cultivator today.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Past years haven't had waterhemp escape Flexstar, and even now should still see ~50% die from it if resistance is showing up. Whatever got sprayed didn't burn up the weeds just made a few look sick. (as in how they look after getting hit with Roundup, but obviously that wasn't what was sprayed.)

Won't be long before we don't have any herbicide options to spray for a lot of weeds, might have to look at how the organic guys deal with weeds besides tillage. Apparently one organic guy who's pea field we harvested the other day said they go through the field with a propane torch system right before the crop emerges and cooks any weeds already up, sounds good but not sure how you keep the field from going up in flames if you are doing no-till? On a side note his field was cleaner than some conventional pea fields I have seen so must be doing something right.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
This thread could pick up some steam!

In my case I planted strictly high water use crops due to the past so many years and my current saline seep problems. To go with that I was late on my spring burndown with the intent of letting things grow just in case we get our usual springtime monsoon... 2 inches of total precip this year and my decisions that I was so confident in have backfired.
You did the same thing I did witch I believe was the right idea but we both probably made the same mistake! We should have taken the maximum crop insurance! LoL!
I am only nervous about one thing that maybe you got right, I don't think I took RA..... whoops! Would have really paid off this year I think, I need to check but I fear I didn't do it.... and I'm going to be sad, would have been a great year to raise wheat!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Why not Liberty beans? Seems like the best option in that case.
Looking into those for next year, not the perfect solution but don't have one anyways. Not many grown around here before last year so weeds should have little resistance, but still need other herbicides like the ones I'm using on conventional beans to back it up.

At least with Liberty it needs to be sprayed about the same way Flexstar does, as both are more of a contact kill than one like Roundup which moves through the plant, so once I get our old sprayer booms lengthened out shouldn't be too hard to get it set up properly.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Rough year to make decisions. Our weather sounds a lot like yours. Can't do anything. There was a very small window to get some planting done, then another couple weeks of rain, then could finish up. I was changing seed plans while driving tractor, change this field to that, do this here instead of there, just plan on taking this for silage instead of grain, etc. Missed the optimum spraying time for the most part. Took the controller out of the box, GPS dead. Sent it in, next day shipping, $68!!!Called 4 days later, well? Tech had been on vacation! Woulda been nice to know, I could have saved some shipping. Two weeks went by, I called again. "Oh. I think I'm sending that out today. It checks out fine, nothing wrong." Hmmm, wtf, now what?! Got it, hooked it up, works perfect. I'm truly stumped but at least it works. Now trying to catch up spraying, some crop really at the outside limit of the label, but OK I think. Boom 1 won't turn on reliably, solenoid not opening enough to give good pressure. Cleaned everything, tried to take solenoid apart, what a cluster! Got it somewhat loose, sprayed some goo in it, exercised it back and forth, tested water flow, seemed working OK. Put it back together, works worse than before. So I'm spraying with 2/3 of a sprayer because I HAVE to get done, I'll work on it later. 1/2 done with my corn acres on a holiday, belt on the pump shreds........GRRRR. Meanwhile, cow died out of the blue 2 weeks ago, another one limping something awful yesterday, tractor hydraulics not working right including trans break, round baler is a worn out POS, and so is my mower, now that we're finally able to start hay a month late. Yep. Been great.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Why not Liberty beans? Seems like the best option in that case.
I'll be doing either Liberty beans or Dicamba beans or both next year. Compared to RR beans the Liberty beans have a yield drag, and dicamba beans are just coming to the market.

Right now leaning toward mostly Liberty, no tech fee, lower overall chemical costs, no resistance issues yet. Still going to have to use overlapping residuals but I need something to kill the weeds that escape the residual.

Its just a matter of time before we see fully stacked beans... roundup, liberty, dicamba traited which will be just another band aid for a head wound. We need new chemicals, new modes of action, not just a repackage and a new name of a 30 year old product.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Rough year to make decisions. Our weather sounds a lot like yours. Can't do anything. There was a very small window to get some planting done, then another couple weeks of rain, then could finish up. I was changing seed plans while driving tractor, change this field to that, do this here instead of there, just plan on taking this for silage instead of grain, etc. Missed the optimum spraying time for the most part. Took the controller out of the box, GPS dead. Sent it in, next day shipping, $68!!!Called 4 days later, well? Tech had been on vacation! Woulda been nice to know, I could have saved some shipping. Two weeks went by, I called again. "Oh. I think I'm sending that out today. It checks out fine, nothing wrong." Hmmm, wtf, now what?! Got it, hooked it up, works perfect. I'm truly stumped but at least it works. Now trying to catch up spraying, some crop really at the outside limit of the label, but OK I think. Boom 1 won't turn on reliably, solenoid not opening enough to give good pressure. Cleaned everything, tried to take solenoid apart, what a cluster! Got it somewhat loose, sprayed some goo in it, exercised it back and forth, tested water flow, seemed working OK. Put it back together, works worse than before. So I'm spraying with 2/3 of a sprayer because I HAVE to get done, I'll work on it later. 1/2 done with my corn acres on a holiday, belt on the pump shreds........GRRRR. Meanwhile, cow died out of the blue 2 weeks ago, another one limping something awful yesterday, tractor hydraulics not working right including trans break, round baler is a worn out POS, and so is my mower, now that we're finally able to start hay a month late. Yep. Been great.
I was wondering where you've been. What happened to the dead cow? I've had two this year...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'll be doing either Liberty beans or Dicamba beans or both next year. Compared to RR beans the Liberty beans have a yield drag, and dicamba beans are just coming to the market.

Right now leaning toward mostly Liberty, no tech fee, lower overall chemical costs, no resistance issues yet. Still going to have to use overlapping residuals but I need something to kill the weeds that escape the residual.

Its just a matter of time before we see fully stacked beans... roundup, liberty, dicamba traited which will be just another band aid for a head wound. We need new chemicals, new modes of action, not just a repackage and a new name of a 30 year old product.
Shouldn't be yield drag on LL beans, up here at least they are doing as good or better than many RR2 but up until last year trying to find one that handled IDC ground, SCN, ect. the options were limited, either you had one and not the other or something else wasn't that great. I think here the biggest yield drag here comes from beans being treated as a cover crop for corn, most guys just drop them in the ground, spray for weeds and aphids and hope they get good yields in the fall.

I know Dow has Enlist beans which are RR and 2-4-D tolerant (so not much different than Xtend really...) They also have E3 beans in the works which are RR, LL, and 2-4-D tolerant, but unless they come out soon probably will be too late to the party.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts