The Combine Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I was wondering where you've been. What happened to the dead cow? I've had two this year...
I'm not sure what happened to her, didn't have post done. 1 of 2 things I figure. I noticed she was walking weird, I almost got the impression she was blind, walking real slow, head up kind of strange position, stiff legged. Stroke maybe? About the time I thought about calling the vet, she was dead. Other possibility, lightning strike? There was one dang awful close at about the right timing...

Since it's in this conversation, liberty link beans....How good of luck do you have controlling grass in LL beans if you just use Liberty? Grass is always my issue. 2 4D tolerance sounds nice, no control on grass. Neither does Dicamba. Hard to beat glyph on grass......but I've got that no round up land lord....hmmmm.....

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I know Dow has Enlist beans which are RR and 2-4-D tolerant (so not much different than Xtend really...) They also have E3 beans in the works which are RR, LL, and 2-4-D tolerant, but unless they come out soon probably will be too late to the party.
I'm interested in the Enlist beans, corn just got approved a couple weeks ago and its looking like there is a 90%+ chance of soybean approval. There definitely is no yield increase with Enlist beans, expect as good to a slight drag vs RR2 is what I'm told by fairly reliable sources. The E3 bean is a couple years out yet.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Since it's in this conversation, liberty link beans....How good of luck do you have controlling grass in LL beans if you just use Liberty? Grass is always my issue. 2 4D tolerance sounds nice, no control on grass. Neither does Dicamba. Hard to beat glyph on grass......but I've got that no round up land lord....hmmmm.....
Liberty will control grass. Its non selective, but it does have its limitations. It is imperative that you get good coverage using Liberty as it does not move through the plant like glyphosate as mentioned earlier. When weeds get to big, you are screwed.

Glyphosate with 2,4-D should wipe everything out... I'd freaking hope.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I've read the Liberty label before, and not all that impressed with grass control. Some testimony on here also sheds some doubt. Quackgrass, Timothy: suppression only. Crabgrass, get it before it tillers...etc. I'd love the Glyphosate and 2, 4-D, both inexpensive herbicides. Got that pesky no glyph landlord though...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Could always tank mix some group 1 herbicide in soybeans, (Select or Fusilade come to mind) but they don't always kill grasses in one shot. Not sure if something like Liberty could counter the effect either and prevent them from working.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Could always tank mix some group 1 herbicide in soybeans, (Select or Fusilade come to mind) but they don't always kill grasses in one shot. Not sure if something like Liberty could counter the effect either and prevent them from working.
Guys have had good luck and it's now common practice to use clethodim with it but I haven't heard of any promising broad leaf mixes

·
Registered
560 Posts
Guys have had good luck and it's now common practice to use clethodim with it but I haven't heard of any promising broad leaf mixes
clethodim with Liberty has been dynamite for my situation, but not sure I have the same grass weeds as the corn belt. They both clean out the spray tank..... sometimes dislodging residue from ages ago which inturn burns the crop. I don't cut corners cleaning out my tank anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
sorry for the cow. very frustrating when that happens.

for weeds we have lambs quarter,dandelions crab grass, quack grass, late season fox tail, thistle, cocklebur are the big ones I fight.

many people in the area and myself 1 time had great luck with enlight pre emerge for soybeans. break free atz or lumax for corn has been very good. just didn't put them out cause of the rain.

got an 1.5" this morning. I like it since we had a good week of heat. but some fields are still very muddy and need spraying.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Its just a matter of time before we see fully stacked beans... roundup, liberty, dicamba traited which will be just another band aid for a head wound. We need new chemicals, new modes of action, not just a repackage and a new name of a 30 year old product.
We could be holding our breath a long time for a new mode of action. In my opinion, the writing is on the wall. We have a few years or few decades of effective chemical use to adjust our practices/methods to a point where we don't need a new miracle mode of action. Market will eventually dictate our chemical use anyways. Assuming my ramblings turn out to be true I'm excited for the challenge and the survival of my farm demands that I get and stay ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Its just a matter of time before we see fully stacked beans... roundup, liberty, dicamba traited which will be just another band aid for a head wound. We need new chemicals, new modes of action, not just a repackage and a new name of a 30 year old product.
We could be holding our breath a long time for a new mode of action. In my opinion, the writing is on the wall. We have a few years or few decades of effective chemical use to adjust our practices/methods to a point where we don't need a new miracle mode of action. Market will eventually dictate our chemical use anyways. Assuming my ramblings turn out to be true I'm excited for the challenge and the survival of my farm demands that I get and stay ahead of the curve.
New mode of action... Robotic weeders... Not very far off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is trial work with microwaves to kill all seeds on the surface of the ground but you need moisture in the seed to create the heat needed to kill it.
One was demo'ed close to here, generator running three household microwaves insides pointed at the ground. I wasn't there but spoke to a neighbor who was

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
There is trial work with microwaves to kill all seeds on the surface of the ground but you need moisture in the seed to create the heat needed to kill it.
One was demo'ed close to here, generator running three household microwaves insides pointed at the ground. I wasn't there but spoke to a neighbor who was
Have some humor here, ;)

Sure your neighbor wasn't pulling your leg?

Just got to ask!, you got to admit it sounds pretty far out there

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
the military has a microwave weapon for crowd control. when turned on if you get into its range your skin starts to get sun burn. I would believe in a decade we might not know what chemicals are anymore for weed control.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Part of the challenge w using microwaves on seeds is physics and the amount of time it takes to get seeds hot enough to cook- it definitely can work though

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I built a weed burner. 8 row with 8 flamers it would empty a 100 lb in a half hour! i liked it but while it killed every weed that was smaller then the crop it also killed bugs good and bad.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts