The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THere used to be a company that made several different sizes of slip in aspirators, exhaust powered to help pull debris from the air filter housing, similar to what OEM mufflers can do but without all the back pressure,Does anybody know of anyone who still makes these aspirator venturis?
Another topic is air intake. My factory aspirator sucks and my filters are getting too dirty. Ive heard of guys taking 7520 intake stacks and sitckin them on a 9600.
Makes perfect sense to add something different to let the engine get its air from someplace other than the air box in front of the radiator which is always fogged due to the suction of the radiator fan.
Cummins filtration carries the Sy Klone centrifigul intake similar to donaldson, and turbo intakes however Sy Klone is the only one that Ive read on that states they can be ran vertical or horizontal,,, and they have an application for the 9600 with an installation kit, of which im not sure contents of but have messages with the people who do and know what it takes to make these work on all machines even STSs.
Has anybody changed the crappy stock setup on their machines yet and if so what did you do and what parts id you use.
I am wanting to get rid of the stock mufflers or atleast gut the stockers and still use the factory aspirator.
I did notice the factory aspirtator on a 9600 is close to the inlet of the muffler,,, I cant imagine this even working that far back where I know there is a huge amount of back pressure.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
We also have been looking to do something like this on our 9650. It is piss poor right now since it takes air from the side where all the dust is. We are trying to figure out if we can put a stack on it to get the air from up higher. Or I guess now you can by the 60 series side panel to fit on your 50 series combine. If you blow it out in the morning it only lasts till around 3 p.m.

Usally when we put straight pipes on everything we just put a turbo II or John Deere precleaner on the stack and we have never had a problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
We put a muffler on our r62 from harvest salvage in Brandon MB, its off a case tractor and i can tell you this, that venturi almost sucks your hand in. If you want one with it in the stack. check combine salvages. the Gleaners all have straight pipes directly from the turbo. there is a venturi there in the pipe. it has a curved stack and everything about 3 feet long.

best of luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
anyone ever straight pipe a 9600? Was wondering how it would work...can never have too many straight pipes, especially if they are chrome. Obviously wouldnt chrome the one on the combine, but the curved tip might be, i hate rain caps worse than Osama Bin Laden.

·
Registered
356 Posts
FactoryFarmer

This is what some guys in our area have done to cure the problem of not being able to suck clean air. It isnt very pretty but it does work. Now one of the main reasons that these were put on was not only to get clean air, but also that the engine in our machine is air cooled. And the fins on the fan blade will wear down really fast in our abrasive soils if you keep sucking bad air through the fan. I doubt this is really practical or maybe overkill for what you are wanting to do but it is an idea that you could maybe run with.

Matt

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
there is a kit #, which I cannot recall right now, that adds an air flow stack to the 50/60 series to make them like the "bullet rotor" scoops.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Quote:http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet
This is the John Deere new radiator air inlet.
It's around $400.00

the hardware kit is $400, you also have to buy the $1200 scoop

also, deere says you can't do it on a walker machine, this is not saying that it can't be done, i don't know, never tried, but it isn't going to bolt right on and deere won't help any if there are any problems.

Solution Number: 71118

Solution Summary: CUSTOMERS WANT TO INSTALL THE ENGINE AIR SCOOP ON OLDER OR 12.5L STS COMBINES -- ( xxxxxx -- 695500 )

Publication Date: Jan 29 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

Complaint or Symptom :
Customers want to install the engine air scoop on one of the following machine:

1. 50 series combines with Tier 1 engines ( xxxxxx – 695500 )

2. 9860STS, or 9880STS built before 2006 ( xxxxxx - 715000 )

3. 9560STS built before 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720000 )

4. Any straw walker machine

Problem or Situation :
The air scoop was designed only for large frame STS combines with 8.1L Tier 2 engines. The kit was not designed to retro-fit back to machines with Tier 1 engines, earlier 12.5L engines, or the small frame 9560STS because of possible air flow issues associated with those machines' cooling packages. Installing the air scoop on these combines may severely restrict air flow, resulting in engine over heating and a reduction in cooling performance.

Solution :
Installation the air scoop on those machines is not recommended by Harvester Works. Customers should be strongly discouraged from installing the air scoop on:

1. 50 series combines with Tier 1 engines ( xxxxxx – 695500 )

2. 9860STS, or 9880STS built before 2006 ( xxxxxx - 715000 )

3. 9560STS built before 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720000 )

4. Any straw walker machine

Additional Information :
Parts catalog information is unclear as to which parts to order for Tier 2 combines (695501 - xxxxxx). H216209 is ONLY the air scoop. You must also order AH220663 kit which contains the hardware, miscellaneous parts and H222387 instructions for installing the scoop.

Installation time is six hours.

Air scoops are standard on large frame STS combines MY 2006 ( 715001 - xxxxxx ) and on the 9560STS MY 2007 ( xxxxxx - 720001 )

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have in the works a self designed kit using a different donaldson radial seal filter housing, getting rid of the stock muffler, adding a donaldson 5" exhaust ejector, and a Sy klone optimax precleaner setup, utilizing the scavanging venturi of the ejector. If anyone is interested when Im done I may be offering these kits for the 9600s as well as 50s or any other combine. I run hopper extensions so going up a couple of feet doesnt mean anything to us and removing the taller intake is a simple twist of a clamp when it comes time to fit it under a shop door or barn opening.
The entire system is well under the cost of adding deeres air scoop with less work and FAR better results. Deeres results arent proven by adding the down draft inlet.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Why is that one piece yellow? I just looked at it in the parts catalog and it was all green. Do you ever have an problems with it overheating? Because it said that it is a issue on some 60 series combines.

DaveDan, could you sent me some pictures when you get it done? I would like to see how tall it is going to be since we can't get ours in anywhere unless we fold the extension down.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not sure that my system will be better but it might me cheaper. Actually Im setting up three combines 2 9600s and 1 9650 walker, so obviously the side scoop from deere wont do me any good anyway. If clearance is an issue, one clamp the way Ive designed it will remove the precleaner stack, quicker than folding your extensions. Also one clamp on the exhaust tip to get it under the hopper height. I know the system will be a huge improvement over stock but not sure what some guys will do about the extra noise having no muffler. Im sure my EGTs will be dropping 150 degrees or more so a little noise suits my turbo and exhaust valves just fine.
I will have the systems together in a month or sooner if all the components come in on time and can post some pictures but wont have any test results until probably May or June.
I will also say that we have extreme dust conditions here in my area mainly due to lack of water, high farm traffic on roads and very high yields so these systems will be tested in the worst environment and will probably perform better in the mid west or other high humidity areas. Im estimating that i wont have to clean my filters but maybe every three days, in dry land maybe once a week, in corn maybe every 5 days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts