The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Had both 23-60 and 22-60 this year. The field was hit hard with the June/July long weekend rain and only averaged 25. 22-60 yielded best of the Dekalb varieties (22-60, 23-10, 23-60) that we had in the trial but not a huge jump.

Planning some 22-60 for 2015 instead of the 23-10 that we have been growing.

Andrew

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had both 23-60 and 22-60 this year. The field was hit hard with the June/July long weekend rain and only averaged 25. 22-60 yielded best of the Dekalb varieties (22-60, 23-10, 23-60) that we had in the trial but not a huge jump.

Planning some 22-60 for 2015 instead of the 23-10 that we have been growing.

Andrew
Were the 22-60 short? Were they easy or difficult to harvest?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
They are short, but then many early season soys are short. I'd say 24-30 inches high.

Not hard to harvest, but I have a flex head so I don't pay too much attention to pod height.... (as long as they aren't touching the ground!)

Andrew

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info

They are short, but then many early season soys are short. I'd say 24-30 inches high.

Not hard to harvest, but I have a flex head so I don't pay too much attention to pod height.... (as long as they aren't touching the ground!)

Andrew
In my area in the past when we use short season varieties we have seen stands as short as 10-12 inches at harvest with bottom pods literally on the ground. This makes harvest a bear and high harvest losses. So im always leery on going to short a season variety although these new Dekalbs and NK look pretty good

·
Registered
107 Posts
fyi, I'm in Eastern Ont and wanted some 23-60 seed for 2015 to go in before Winter wheat next year. Dealer told me there's no 23-60 available in Eastern Canada (at this time). Cant speak for your area...maybe your dealer was smart and booked a bunch in advance.

Your right about the height issue. I've grown 24-61, 24-10, Samsa, and a few others and they are darn short at harvest. 24-61 werent too bad.

I have some S007-Y4 on order too but availability is the issue again and nothing confirmed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2510 and richers were the best for us 'd like to try some thunder 0035 or something but man I like the richer and 2510, don't want to put 7 varietys trought the seeder lol i'll be filling up more than planting lol
Richer are a great bean from what I see although no real dealer network and support here. Richer like 2510 are at the top end for maturity in this area. 2510 fail miserably here when moisture is high due to poor white mould tolerance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.