The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if anybody has had any experience with the crary air reel on the CIH 1020 flex head. We are kicking around the idea of adding it to our machine. Anyone have any pros or cons about it? thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: experience with crary air reel on CIH 1020 fle

We use to run them on 1020s I think they are worth the money but I would trade headers to get it otherwise you sit with a reel that is useless once you put the crary on. And if you are going to trade headers you might as well take the plunge to draper and then you will have somthing. We actually had a 36 ft crary head when they came out with all the bells and wistles and that was a joke. If you could find a used air reel then I would install on old header they will pay for themselves either way. What ever you decide you will not regret buying it. They really help if you are in short beans just make sure you keep the bolts tight on the reel ,all of them if a star comes loose you will have major damage. If you cut any small grain they work very well there also.

·
Registered
22 Posts

We ran pair of crary reels on 25 ft 1020's. Found they had a sharp driveline angle past the fan. This caused the auger drive sprocket shaft to shift crooked resulting in the auger chain coming off a lot when reversing. Possibly not an issue on 30 ft heads but was a nuisance to us. Another thing I didn't like was that there was no way to run ours without the fan running. Just a waste of horsepower and really noisey in wheat or any other crop where it wasn't necessary and it would blow straw and chaff and dust all over the front. They worked good enough in beans though for what they were designed and straight cutting canola too. We had problems with water getting in the electric cylinders that tilt the air manifolds, causing them to seize up and quit working. Also dirt getting sucked in and plugging some of the air pipes. They did the job but we have flex drapers now and I would never go back to a flex head again.

·
Registered
620 Posts

I was recently told at a farm show by a Crary rep that their new air reels have a bypass drive available to allow the head to operate without the fan turning but it is an option, not standard.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Posted by floydr on Today at 8:51am
We ran pair of crary reels on 25 ft 1020's. Found they had a sharp driveline angle past the fan. This caused the auger drive sprocket shaft to shift crooked resulting in the auger chain coming off a lot when reversing. Possibly not an issue on 30 ft heads but was a nuisance to us. Another thing I didn't like was that there was no way to run ours without the fan running. Just a waste of horsepower and really noisey in wheat or any other crop where it wasn't necessary and it would blow straw and chaff and dust all over the front. They worked good enough in beans though for what they were designed and straight cutting canola too. We had problems with water getting in the electric cylinders that tilt the air manifolds, causing them to seize up and quit working. Also dirt getting sucked in and plugging some of the air pipes. They did the job but we have flex drapers now and I would never go back to a flex head again.

Ya, we went through auger chain issue but resolve it by keeping the slip clutch adjusted to spec. this farm hasn't made the jump to an expensive draper yet, so if it has to be a 1020 then definitely has to have an air reel on it, have had an air reel on our heads for 17 years.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I have a Crarry wind system on the front of my header. Absolutely love it in dry beans, works good in wheat, but it does blow a lot of straw around. Also helps feed better in wheat, as long as you keep the drop tubes up and in the reel. Wouldnt be cought dead with out some type of air system

1 - 6 of 6 Posts