The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in need of an adjustable chaffer for my R62. I have been looking at new ones but really don’t want to spend the money right now, since I had to replace two tractors this year already, and we all know the markets suck.

So today I had an idea! I have an adjustable chaffer from a N5. Since it’s about 15 inches short, I will chop the airfoil that’s currently in the 62 and add it to the front of the N5’s so it’ll fit for length. So I’m a round about way it’ll be like 8s and 9s except the airfoil won’t be under the accelerator rolls.

I think it’ll work. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First day update. I started peas today and was getting a really clean sample. Then I stoped to look over things and a good third of adjustable finger section is plugged with oats... I assume they are falling through the open front section and then blowing up and getting stuck underneath. Hopefully it is only a problem in peas since my chemical program did not work for peas this year.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You could turn your air down and keep the oats in your clean grain instead of blowing them back out in the field

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well shmiffy that didn’t work ether. I’m going to say that I don’t have consistent air pressure with this. The oats are plugging from the top so they must blow over the air foil then drop to the fingers due to an air pressure difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wild oats will plug my chaffer in wheat if i close the fan down. If Im in a field with a lot of wild Oats i will open the chaffer a little and run the fan almost wide open.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think your biggest isssue is the bulk of your air is escaping out the airfoil section, and not leaving enough volume or pressure to ride underneath to the rest of the sieve. What if you opened your adjustable section right up and tried to regulate it with fan only, more like an airfoil?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts