The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a ez-steer setup on a 2388. I heard the 500 is going to be easier to calibrate. I just dont know how it will work being the steering is so different versus a tractor. Auto steer man at a dealer told be since the combine has a yield monitor the combine is already wired for mapping. Just plug in the auto steer system and it will do mapping. Guess even if the ez-steer wont work good, the mapping capability would be nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The auto-steer system will be a kit with steering sensors, hydraulic valves, a console switch, 2 relays, and wiring to make it all work. If it is setup and calibrated correctly, you can hold down to a few (3-6) inches of where you want to be using the free GPS signal. The subscription services can get you down to 1-2 inches.

The setup process will take into account the difference between a tractor & a combine. The only complaints I've heard are when it's not setup or calibrated correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We ran 3 EZ-Steers on our 8010's this year, and once we got the offset for the headers figured out they worked great!!! We set them so they overlapped about six inches per side, once in a while they would go a little more, but made it nice for the combine and bank out wagon drivers. The bigger the headers the more it helps otherwise we were always over steering with those 36 foot headers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We ran an ez-steer on a 2388 for 3 years with an old lightbar. So you don't have to spend the extra money for a 500 if you don't want to. You must get it set right or you will hate it. It really shines in dusty conditions.

We have an ag leader yield monitor so we use 2 bubbles. I do not know if you can split the signal from a bubble. Never tried.

We no till drill on an angle and then combine straight. So I am not sure how well the ez-steer would work in row crop conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an EZ Steer on my 2388. It is a no brainer once you use it. I use the free Wass signal and with it set on 29.5 feet I seldom loose a bean. I can switch it back and forth in the 9330 tractor in less than 30 minutes. I do leave some of the wiring in place in both machines. I cut at angles and all kinds of terrains. I am more relaxed at the end of the day and the machine runs much smoother with a constant load. It will interface with the mapping and ect. with the right cable. It works as good with the origional light bar as the 500. I do think the 500 is easier to find a new headland, according to a friend. I don't know. It also is a great way to measure your acreage and have yields that mean more.

·
Registered
922 Posts
afxguy I asume you are talking about an intergrated auto steer not ez steer I have thought about doing this with my insight in my planting tractor and leaving my ez steer for my sprayer so in the spring I am not constantly changing back and forth my insight dealer told me that they do not even deal with the system that ties into the actuall hyd sterring have any idea how much that rigging cost?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have both a ez guide plus system, and a 500. I am not to worried about calibrating just was clueless how it would respond with a rear steer vehicle. Anyone try to wire it in to get yield mapping.

·
Registered
809 Posts
montana, unless you misunderstood or your dealer misunderstood what you asked, something is very wrong with what you posted. From what I've been told the Insight (at this time) only works with integrated steering systems(not an ez-steer). The factory installed auto-steer ready system is the cleanest way to go, any dealer that sells the Insight should be able to hook up the harnesses and calibrate the system.

As far a price goes, you will need a Nav controller..about $4000 and with the Insight you will pay an unlock code fee...I think $700, plus the cost of the factory installed auto-steer ready sytem ( this can be installed after market too).

The Insight is a proven auto-steer system that works as advertised.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We have customers who use ez-steer in their comines and it works very good. You need two cable to connect to your display and you are mapping, its a very easy plug and play setup.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i run the auto steer on my 2388 with a 36' honney bee, have a bit of a prolem trying to get the offset set....still not perfect after 2 seasons, case dealers are useless for help... case needs to set up a proper school for the use of their systems

also found that it needs to be hard wired into a good power source, using the lighter will not give proper power to grab all the satelites, and then with lights on you will find that voltage drops to a point you loose to many satelites and it goes down... one year to figure that out

also found mounting the t2 to the floor has advantages to the back window, but mount t2 so it will not move...valcro does not cut it, also one season to figure that out

over all happy with the gps...to bad it was not wireless

found the best info for problem solving to be here
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=6

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:afxguy I asume you are talking about an intergrated auto steer not ez steer I have thought about doing this with my insight in my planting tractor and leaving my ez steer for my sprayer so in the spring I am not constantly changing back and forth my insight dealer told me that they do not even deal with the system that ties into the actuall hyd sterring have any idea how much that rigging cost?

I don't know how much it costs. That mostly depends on the individual dealer.
For 2100, 2300, & 2500 series machines, you need Autoguidance kit 87587674. That is the Case kit made by Case for their combines.
The kit also requires a Pro600 display and an AFS 252 GPS receiver.
If you have those in another machine, it's just a matter of having the dealer put the correct software in the display (should only need to be done once, unless updating software) and put it in the combine. The Pro600 allows multiple machines in the memory so you just tell it what you're in when you change machines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts