The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 1978 f2 gleaner and the rattle chain is hung up on the pan that it rides on. I think the previous owner ran it loose, but not real sure how the best way is to get it out? The serial number is 36574 and I also wonder if anyone could verify the year and tell me where I can get manuals for the machine. It is a variable speed diesel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like it may be a 1977 model. Take the chain cover off. Above front axle, under feeder house. Rollers that the chain run on may just be locked up. I have a 77 F2. If you get the chain too tight it will slip the clutch. Will also slip the clutch of bearing goes bad in roller. If it is caught on the floor, you will have to roll chain backwards until connector links are at opening. Pull chain out this opening.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Might be a good idea to tie a long piece of wire to each side of chain when you remove master links. Then you will have a way to reinstall chain. Never had the false bottom out of one, so not much help there. Might go to the following link and look at the parts book to see how things are put together.
AGCO Parts Books

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for your help. Do you know much about the ac unit on these combines? Mine is still using r12 and both pressure switches and the condenser relay have been bypassed. I am ordering the parts from a local dealer my question is how to switch the system to 134. Some people are saying not to change anything just add 134 to the system as is and it will be fine. I unit is mounted to the side of the combine and has 2 fans on it and the compressor is back at the engine. I think the condenser is supposed to cycle but that has been redone with a toggle switch on the unit. I hope the relay will fix that and get it back working the way it should.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
find some R12 substitute. we use HC12a, I believe it is from Northcutt out of Wichita KS.

as far as the false bottom, to get by you can try to repair the damaged area, usually up front where it tries to catch and run it, but you really need to change it at some point. IIRC Abilene Machine sells a new bottom.

like said above, the access door is under the feederhouse, above the front axle. use some wire or twine to assist in installing the new chain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks I am trying to fix the wiring in the cab for the ac and going to try to remove the rattler chain pan tomorrow. I got the access panel off and the pan is hung on the chain I think I can repair it this year and get by

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the best way to turn that rattler chain back to access the master links? The drive pulley on the side is it threaded or just pressed on? I was thinking about taking it off and trying to turn the top shaft with a wrench

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
the shaft is round, so you would just scar it all up with a pipe wrench. Depending on how stuck it is, you should be able to grab the big sperator belt and rotate the machine backwards and get the raddle to roll backwards that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am having trouble getting the rattler chain pan out I have the chain broke and all the bolts out of the pan but can't get either one to come free I can move the pan up and down and the chain is kinda all wrapped on the back pulley. Any ideas on what I am not doing right?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
do you have the rear shaft out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the chain and false bottom out. Having the bottom repaired and have ordered new idler sprockets, bearings, and drive sprockets also. I have to weld the bottom pan back to support rails also. Anything that I am missing? How can I tell if the combine has auto head height control and if not is that an option that can be added?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
dont quote me, but IIRC on F2's the auto header height was mostly hydraulic based, and involved a valve outside the cab right beside the RH window.

for the raddle chain, we like the Manchester hillside raddle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.