The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the powerboost does or is. I seem to lose power today while doing wheat; the combine then stopped? Any help would be great. Could it be a dirty fuel filter or air filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am trying to think what you mean by powerboost? It would be a good idea to check the air and fuel filter. When you say the combine stopped, did the motor lug down, sputter and die, or stop like when you turn off the key?? Also what engine do you have? I do not know much about F2's but I do know Allis engines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

The combine lugged down while I was combining; when I unloaded grain and let off the throttle everything came back, sounded better, when I put load on it again it lugged down and stopped. It really didn't want to start. I gave it 15 minutes played with the small fuel pump by the fuel filter (goes in and out); after cranking fore a while it started. I brought it home and parked it. It just didn't seem to have much power after about a half hour of running??

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Do you have the diabolical stanadyne injection pump on you machine?

If so it sounds like it's on its way out, similar problems with mine last year, had the pump rebuilt, she has more power now then she has had for a long time.

Another frequent problem is crap in the fuel tank since these tanks feed from the bottom everything gets sucked up. Check your water separator on the rh side of the fuel tank just below it. There is a little mesh screen that can get plugged.

When you have the bowl off, open the fuel valve and see how fast it flows out if it's slow, the line may be plugged. Take your air hose and blow air through the vent hole in the fuel tank cap and that should send your blockage flying out.

Also after running for a while you can take the fuel tank cap off and see if there was a vacuum, if there was the vent hole is plugged.

The fuel systems on these machines wasn't the greatest

·
Registered
315 Posts
Boidiesel rusted my tank after setting over winter.Fine rust would plug the screen in sediment bowl after about 20min run time.No good way to clean tank as it has big baffels just inside fill hole.Plumbed a Detroit Diesel primary base/filter inline just after sediment bowl and removed screen.Ran fine for 2 seasons then changed filter just to be safe. So far so good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i dont know where the filter is in the tank, and the fill is a long way from fuel line, plus can't get past baffels with arm. the fuel system is pretty simple, and you can reach/see it all from one spot. start with simple stuff first. that is making sure the fuel will gravity flow out of tank through lines and to pump. on top of the pump. another cause could be where the return line comes back to pump from injectors there is a fitting there that threads into the pump. it should be a check valve there is a spring loaded ball inside make sure it isn't stuck.

Does it smoke when lugging down? if so make sure air filter is not clogged, and also make sure you have correct air filter. the filter for the F and F2 are not the same. one is smaller and will allow dust to bypass filter and stop up intercooler.

Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for all the comments. I found the problem but not the cause as of yet. The combine ran fine all day today which made me happy lots of power. The problem is that air is getting into the main fuel line and causing an air pocket which is starving the engine and emptying the fuel filter. I'm not quite sure where the air is coming in from but I have a month or so to figure it out as I got all my wheat done and beans are next. I noticed that if I prime the fuel filter by removing the small screw on top then suction occur and the air disappears. Like I said it ran all day but I don't know where the air is coming in from. I'll blow out the line to the tank one more time and check all the connections. I can't see any leaks. The only thing I wonder about is the manual piston fuel primer pump at the right side of the filter. When I use it to prime the system it leaks fuel on the way out but not as I pushed back in. Should it squirt a lot of fuel out as you pull out. Just wondering if air could get in this way if the seal is broken? wanted to thank everyone for pointing me in the right direction. It's always good to here the thoughts and ideas of others. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.