The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 Gleaner F2. I am going over it before harvest starts to work out issues. My unload auger won't fold out. I push the handle down and I am getting nothing. It seems locked up. I traced the metal rods down through the combine to where a hydrolic box is on the opposite side of auger. I think the problem is the metal rods aren't able to turn the hydrolic box to get it to engage

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it has round piece with chain that rotates to put auger out like L and m, it could be track and ball bearings have rust in them. Spray through crack all the way around with a good penetrating oil. Half acetone and half transmission fluid will work great. Try to move auger again in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have an exact answer but... you are right in a sense. Hydraulics are simple systems. You have a continuous pressure of oil. You push or pull a lever to open a valve witch allows the oil flow to go to either a hydraulic motor or a hydraulic cylinder.

Your problem would suggest that you aren't getting oil flow to the unload auger cylinder. So.... either your linkage is not pushing or pulling far enough to make the valve move enough to allow the oil to flow to the cylinder or possibly your linkage is not pushing or pulling far enough to actuate a solenoid that would electrically open and close to allow the oil flow. Therefore I would suggest that you get someone to pull the lever in the cab while you make sure the linkage is pushing or pulling far enough to make it work. A lot of times those older machines have wore out bushings, joints, wholes, or pins that give you too much slop. That will in turn not allow the system to actuate properly. The bottom line is, you are not getting oil flow to the auger cylinder. You will have to troubleshoot the reason.

I sold my F3 3 years ago and I don't remember how that linkage exactly works. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you can see the chain that pulls it up from cab. if it wont move at all (not even the chain) you have a hydraulic issue. but if the chain moves the balls in the track could be wore out. there are grease fittings on the base of the auger below the chain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What speed are you running the engine. The hydraulics have a priority valve that sends all the flow to the PS at low engine speeds. Rev the motor a little more, and check the linkage going to the valve.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
the rod doesnt turn the valve, it pushes in and pulls out.

What has likely occured is that the auger wasnt cleaned out 100 percent, and things got rusty in the track.

like said above, lube it all up and keep trying.

it helps to un-do the chain, and wiggle the auger up and down by hand so you dont break anything.

Worse case, you will have to pull the auger to clean things up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts