The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Ford F250, 7.3 powerstroke, zf5 tranny 4x4. Tranny went to crap last may, getting ready to drag her into the shop and start wrenching on it. Has anyone pulled one of these and have some good advice?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, I have pulled one. Yes, I have some good advice. No I don't remember what it is:)
Its got a hydraulic clutch that i don't remember what the best way to disconnect it was- think you can take the slave cylinder off without disconnecting the line so you don't have to bleed it later. It has what they call a dual mass flywheel you will need to replace- you can put a solid one in depending on your budget and what you do with the truck -I would definitely consider it. Replace the rear main seal while your in there. Removal is pretty straight forward- top two bolts are easiest to get after cross-member is dropped and you can lower tranny a bit and then go in from the cab with a long extension and swivel socket. When installing make sure new tranny is in gear so you can turn it from the back to line up the splines. Also dont forget about putting a jack under the engine to keep it in place

1 - 3 of 3 Posts