The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the latest you want to dessicate fabas (rule of thumb) is Sep 10. Sep 18 now. No frost yet. The beans are a bit lodged but looks like a heavy crop.

They say for staging, 80% of lower pods should be black, middle pods yellow/tan, and upper pods green but with firm seed.

We're not quite there yet, most pods are still green. Lower pods still green, but seed is turning colour. Upper pods green, seed not mushy, almost firm.

7 day forecast looks like steady 15-20C highs and 4-10C lows, there was a risk of frost last night but I think it only got down to +2.

I want to use roundup + heat on the outside round and some weedy patches. Thinking Reglone for most of the rest so I have seed. Getting late in the year, but stage-wise still early.

What would you do? Any insight from others here? Last year the snow killed it in early Sep. Lot more weed pressure this here.

I would be considering waiting for frost if it was a clean field but the cleavers are terrible around the edge, and there are some thistle patches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Faba fields tend to be weedy following year. With Reglone you might get some regrow that. I'd go with roundup and heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Colour of the pod doesn't matter is the colour of the hilum on the seed that matters, as long as you've got a black stripe on them their ready to dessicate. Reglone will dessicate them a lot faster
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top