The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some pictures of what my fababeans look like now. Severely wind damaged and diseases although there is pods there. I assume the black ones are just naturally maturing ones. Also I think the wind may be helping my harvest timing window. When do I spray these with reglone??

Wish they all looked like this one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your fababeans look pretty good,if seeded first week on may, spray between sept 5 and 8 or when the top leaves start falling off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glyph timing is half of the pods completely black, assume slightly later maybe 2/3 of plant black for reglone? seed grower tells me glyph is better because pods dont become brittle and potentially shatter if not harvested right away. something to think about

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The amount of pods per plant look good! Have you done any seed counts per plant? To try and set some benchmarking...I am aiming for 30-40 seeds per plant and 30-35 plants per sqm..

Good luck!

Ant...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Have a look at the helum on each seed. Once it turns black the seed is mature.

Pull off some of the greenest pods if none or very few hilum still are green it is ready.

I am always surprised how green a ripe crop can look. To me your crop looks ready.

·
Registered
777 Posts
we harvested our faba's hour east of Edmonton, they ran avg 60 bu/ac but we did have some chemical residual issues with Lontrel used in the past (at least that's what we think was the issue). Didn't think it would affect them that far out but they are super sensitive. new leafs would come out and curl up for a few days and then finally open up. They didn't stool out like last year, weren't very competitive with weeds because of this so that was frustrating. But it seems they were still able to yield decent, given the year for us I would have expected 65-75 bu/ac as the peas ran anywhere from 50-65 bu/ac.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our beans North of Beaumont and south of airport Rd south Beaumont averaged 60 for us on 300 acres. I think the late August hot spell hurt us for higher yeild but for our first year with them we are quite happy with the yeild there. I the last field 200 acres they averaged 45. This quarter had 40 acres of sandy soil and they did very poor on the sandier parts and very well on the better soil In there. Unfortunately 2/3 s of the beans are feed quality due to frost damage. We will se how the marketing goes with these and if it goes well we will be planting them next year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have you have found any potential market(s) yet. I too am looking. Human consumption markets from our area involve quite a bit of freight.
Feed mills still not quite sure what they want to do.:confused:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hearing dryland yields in West Central and Northwest SK anywhere from 70-100 bus/acre depending on variety. Some areas with more water damage still averaging 30-50 bus/acre even with high percentage of lost acres. Definitely seeing much better quality with some varieties over others and also differences in maturity.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too late of a crop for me. I already have flax in rotation and now soybeans which are working out very well, so not going to do fabas again.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Here is a short video of harvesting fabbas. This field averaged about 58 bpa. Monitor in video shows yield at end at around 70 or so but this is only in this heavier part of the field.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does anybody want to share the price your getting for these faba beans? Or a place to sell them in NW sask. A neighbor grew some this year and they looked very good, not sure what kind of yield they got. They looked more fun to combine then our green peas!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a short video of harvesting fabbas. This field averaged about 58 bpa. Monitor in video shows yield at end at around 70 or so but this is only in this heavier part of the field.
Those looked like mine, thought they looked kinda sick all year, but yours looked the same I guess.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Those looked like mine, thought they looked kinda sick all year, but yours looked the same I guess.
Yep same here. Ours did look good for most part of the season but the 3 hot weeks in August seemed to hurt them.. Noticed top pods seem to dry up and wither away or lot of pods just failed to fill or mature. Will will try again next year but we are also going to try flax. Never grown it before but willing to try a hundred acres. Was a little flax grow west of us about 20 miles and it turned out good. Yeilded about 30 but the area there was a lot drier then we were..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Is this not a market that is going to be flooded quickly from too many growers and not enough demand? So far everyone is multiplying seed and very few sales.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Ours did 70, they got frosted and had black in them. We knew they were going to be feed so I was on the horn the next day, had 5$ on the table but waited too long to commit and ended up selling for $4.75 , talked to guy yesterday again and he said there was so much feed fabas that they don't even have a bid for feed anymore as they have bought enough for the whole year

1 - 20 of 23 Posts