The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did everyone think of faba's in 2014? Better than peas for disease? Is the price holding up with higher production or is there a glut?

Worst case are they worth the same as feed peas or is there a discount? (I believe they should be worth more because of protein but...)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seed I had lined up was 55% germ after cleaning so I didn't put any in. Trying to decide whether that was a good or bad thing LOL.
My drill will work at 180 lb/ac but I'm not sure at a high enough rate to compensate for the germ. Don't think I could even meter that high.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Several folks in my area were getting a little impatient with Saskcan Pulse before Christmas. One neighbor said he was having a hard time even getting them returning phone calls about when they could take delivery of his fabas. It's been a month since that time and I'm not sure if he was going to sell them locally to a hutterite colony, or hold out for Saskcan to take them.

With Saskcan's prices tracking yellow pea prices, they aren't quite as attractive this year as they were last year.

Last year we put in a field of Malak fabas, and they were too big to go through our flexicoil stealth openers. Had to buy new openers just to get them in the ground.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone out there had any experience seeding snowbird faba's with a Seedhawk air drill. I would like to put a half in next spring but a little nervous about getting them in the ground. They recommend 4-4.5 bu/acre.

·
Registered
846 Posts
We seed to have 4-5 plants survive, so rate will largely depend on seed size. Snowbirds that I've seeded have ranged from 350 tkw up to 500 tkw. Will make a big difference in plant stand.

Also ensure you get the germ or get your own done after getting seed as I've bought certified with as low as 73% germ. I also assume 10% mortality rate, so if you have a 500 tkw at 73% germ and 10% mortaility you will need 329 lbs of seed/ac to get 4.5 plants/ft^2, or 5.5 bu/ac. Or if you are lucky you could be at the other end of the spectrum, 95% germ and 350 tkw with 10% mortality would only take 177 lbs/ac, or just under 3 bu/ac...almost half the rate.

Due diligence could pay off handsomely.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Forgot to answer the question, faba's were good, ~60 bu/ac. No disease but did have a little frost damage, black beans. Not sure on current prices, priced ours last spring/summer when heard how many acres were seeded.

Anybody know what feed beans are going for?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
#2 fabas are 12 cents right now, were at 13 before. I had lots of disease but super thick tall crop. I'd plan to two apps of fungicide. Although mine were very late, I won't be growing this year (just soybeans) but may try them again next year. I had snowbirds, 55 bpa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.