The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of banding some N this fall. Wondering if it is worth it. I don't have any fert storage so I thought this might be the way to go. How much is lost by next spring. When is the best time, now or just before freeze up. Wanted to turn over some wheat stubble for next years canola and thought it might be a good idea since i'm burning diesel anyway.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We try to band 75% of our acres in the fall. Either with nh3 or dry. What ever is cheaper and works. We see no yield difference between spring and fall applied N most of the time.

When we did see a difference was when we recieved ALOT of rain early in the spring and washed it away.

As soon as we are done harvest we start banding. It doesn't matter the temp. It will get cool enough by the middle of October.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hear the ads on the radio claiming to broadcast super u 46-0-0 on in the fall and will work. think Koch industry product
It had better work for 15 cents/# more!

Fall banding is great time-management. In a week or two soils will be cool enough that losses will be minimal.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
We are in very flat land so there is always lots I water in the fields in the spring and we did some trails on fall band vs spring and were seeing 10bu better in wheat with spring applied but there are lots of guys around here that are putting NH3 down in the fall but there land is all on slopes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still haven't put down any N. Waiting for cooler weather but forecast calling for 16-18 degree temps for all next week. Think I will start Monday. Warm can change to snow pretty quick around this time of year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I quit fall banding a few years ago for the fact I can spend 10 days in the fall banding or add 1 or 2 days in the spring seeding. A lot less hrs on the tractor and fuel. Works for us right now anyways.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the first time i'm doing it. Wanted to blacken some fields for seeding canola next year for straw management. Thought if i'm burning diesel anyway I might as well put down some fert. Had a few fields this spring with straw issues. they were heavy harrowed in fall.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
If you have land where water stands for any length of time in the spring then don't put down fall N on those fields. Farmers always talk about N "leaching" away in the spring. 99% of the time it does not in fact leach but rather denitrifies under anaerobic conditions. Waterlogged soils or more typically soil that is underwater is by definition anaerobic. That's why you'll see potholes that you've seeded through on fall applied N turn yellow. Often they'll recover because they also tend to have higher organic matter but when you see them turn yellow in the spring that's denitrification showing up. On well drained soils the agronomics are good for fall application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.