The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Great pictures, 9870STS. Work for Plains Power & Equip. and at the York, NE store have a customer with a 9870STS and they really like it. That 8430 and cart is great.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good looking machinery shots there, thanks.
But, I turn my nose up looking at that old wooden shanty of a barn behind the three trucks.
I remember taking my old 85 yr old father-in-law for a drive three yrs ago thru the country and we saw some awful eyesores dotting the landscape. Round bales of whatever with weeds growing out of them behind hedges, old machinery rusting away out in the middle of fields, old wooden shanties of buildings etc. America needs a good clean up in some areas.

·
Super Moderator
4,228 Posts
Quote:a customer with a 9870STS and they really like it.

This reminds me of that Best and Worst section of Farm Show magazine.

This is the the best "X" I've ever owned. How long have I owned it?
What time is it now?

Don

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
what state are you in and what do yields look like there for soybeans?

is it jsut me, or does it seem like the "command center" tells you exactly what the pillar gauges tell you, just on a smaller screen? maybe they redid the gauge design, but the 3 gauges on our 9600 tell us exactly what that command center does and its alot more convenient to look at the pillar than it is at a little screen thats completely out of the way of your field of vision.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer all of your questions, We farm about 4,500 acres but we also do custom harvesting, chopping, round baling,square baling, planting, and tilling. We havent used the 1594 grain cart much but everybody love it. The fields in the pictures ran about 50 bushels and acre. We had 2 1084 brents and traded one off for this 1594 and it is a huge upgrade, worth the extra money but the 8430 is a little small on it. We had our first 9860 last year and I loved it until we put our 12r 30" Harvestec chopping corn head on it. After that the combine was broke down every other day and that is why we went to the 9870. The first day we had the 9870 we did some corn and it was a BIG improvment over the 9860 but since then somthing has gone wrong with the moter and it doesn't have the power that it is rated. Just today I was harvesting soybeans and a seal went out on the turbo and blew oil all over and then the turbo started on fire but luckly i noticed it right away and got the fire out before it did any damage. We have a new turbo on it now again and it is running good exept for the power problem. The command center is great,it tells you way more then the pillar gauges, I just love it. If anybody is wondering the picture of the 9670 is our second combine of three and it has 710/38 duals on it. If you are looking for floatation or less compaction go with the duals over tracks, way less money and I can drive through just as much mud as a track combine and it also makes a really smooth ride for cutting beans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
a guy around here wanted to put 710's on a new deere but the company said it void the waranty. thought that to be strange. anybody have any insight to that one is to why??

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Cessnaguy, you must be a city farmer. Yes, a lot of that stuff is out there because of inertia. It takes money to maintain it, or it takes money to tear it down. But it sets there for free. If you want to drive thru some picturesque village on your vacation, go to Amana Colonies. The rest of us are trying to make a living, and some times mother nature isn't generous. $9.00 wheat doesn't matter if Jack Frost harvested it on Easter.

Is every part of your city spotless?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey drewsdad i got a funny story for you. When our dealership had a expo and john deere had a lady there to represent the combines for the company, I talked to her about the duals and why john deere wont let poeple put them on there combines and she really had no anwser for me. She looked at our combine with the 800 duals and after her husband seen them he ordered a pair for himself, so if john deere tell you that they wont warrenty it after you put the dual on they are just try to scare you.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Quote:a customer with a 9870STS and they really like it.

What time is it now?

This customer always has a 9860STS every year before the 9870STS, he said those work great also.

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

What time is it now?

This customer always has a 9860STS every year before the 9870STS, he said those work great also.

Don

Yeah. So have I. Different planet apparently.

Don

·
Registered
380 Posts
Crusty did you put some different exhaust tips on those bad boys?? What all problems did the 9860 have with the corn head and what does the 9870 have that fixes it???

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes we did put some chrome tips on the combines. With the 9860 and the 12 row chopping corn head the 9860 couldn't lift the head or contour it. When we would push a lot of corn through it we would shear the bolt on the arm that drives the sieves. The 9860 was short on power for that big of a corn head. The variable speed belt the drives the head shredded twice, the belt the drives off the electric clutch shredded 4 times and the electric clutch broke twice. It made for a very long fall. The 9870 has 35% more clean grain comacity, a 5 speed powershift feederhouse drive with a MUCH heaver belt, bigger liffting cylinders, and 65 more standerd HP and 33 HP boost when unloading on the go and 40 extra HP if we had a 612C corn head with the speed sensor but we are going to find a we the mount a speed sensor on our harvestec corn head.

·
Registered
192 Posts
did JD change anything on the chopper drives,we are having problems with the final drive belt cracking and breaking on our 9860 premiums,seems it is getting too hot under those shields,threw ours off.if you can could you please take the plastic shields offf and post some pics

·
Super Moderator
4,228 Posts
Quote:did JD change anything on the chopper drives,we are having problems with the final drive belt cracking and breaking on our 9860 premiums,seems it is getting too hot under those shields,threw ours off.if you can could you please take the plastic shields offf and post some pics

Yes they did. Completely new set-up, huge sheaves.
Cost to change yours about 60 grand----------each!!!

Don

1 - 20 of 29 Posts