The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ok let me get started by saying this, the corn was looking really good until it didn't rain the entire summer. Once it was to late for the corn, there was a heck of a storm that blew over some of the corn. We were testing out 2 new seed numbers of corn. One was more drought resistant that the other. The one that was less drought resistant was most damaged by the wind. We got a type of reel that supposedly would help feed the downed corn. It didnt help any. About every other round you would have to get out and cut the morning glory that would wrap around the reel. It took us abut 3 days to harvest 28 acres going an average speed of about 1.4 mph. Anyways here are the pictures.

A view of the combine from the 4430 pulling the grain cart.

Another picture

A better part of the field

Getting dark out

A new day, time to grease and re-fuel the combine.

a look back

How about shredding some corn stalks?

I've got a long way to go!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
you guys no-till? i see no reason to mow cornstalks unless you do...just wastin fuel, get the disc chisel out and go to town!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those some nice pictures you got there. Very nice 9500. How does the farm like the 8-row corn head? We had a 8 row corn head for our 2188 a couple years back. Now we have a Geringhoff 12 row folding header for our 2388. Also an 8010 with a 16 row folding header. Both are at 20".

·
Banned
469 Posts
Gleanerkid,

Very nice pictures, I especially like the ones of your family helping you with the harvest. Looks like next year, The youngest (grandson?) will be ready for combine lessons. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great harvest

·
Registered
85 Posts
actually notilling beans would be a good reason to NOT mow stalks. I made that mistake once....all that material laying on the ground made a nice mat that held moisture real well. I think it finally dried up enough to plant around Labor day.

I used to have a disc chisel that didnt like corn stalks one bit...let him decide if its a waste of fuel or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's an old Hawkins reel. They still make them but the guy that invented it redesigned it to alleviate the wrapping problem and also added hyraulic fore/aft and hyraulic lift on it. The new paddle shape cleans better than the old one. I saw them at a couple of shows and the new design looks way better than the old Hawkins design. The new name is DG Crop Sweeper. www.cropsweeper.com

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i put them on facebook, because it's alot easier to put them on facebook and put them on here than going to photobucket and uploading them all on here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts