The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stripping oats today and had an almighty thumping and shuddering , sounded like I had a wallaby in the feeder house . :eek::eek:
That sort of noise sounds like $1000"s of dollars worth but thank god it was only the blade in the cleaning fan had cracked off and done a dozen laps .
A bit of improvisation and we finished up before the rain .yay.:)
4 new blades , brakets and bearings are on their way.

Has anyone else experienced this ??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, our 7720 did the exact same thing. All 4 blades kind of got twisted up together but we managed to panel beat them back into reasonable shape and welded up the broken brackets. I pulled the covers off and checked for cracks daily after that. Found a couple cracked at another time and welded them up before they caused any problems.

I also saw a 7720 at a clearing sale with broken brackets which would have surely only lasted a few more acres before it went the same way.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I just put new bearings in mine...but it needs balancing...or better yet...yank the one out of the 9750STS...and throw in it...if I come across one I will look at doing...4 blades is as gay as Santas helpers...except for canola as its low velocity...and also good in poppies...

Ant...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used to drive these machines and it was a common problem, we used to turn the blades around and put them on back wards and you could get a lot more air out of it along with a modified fan shroud cover. Did not seem to make any difference to the cracks and wear of the fan.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put new bearings in mine...but it needs balancing...or better yet...yank the one out of the 9750STS...and throw in it...if I come across one I will look at doing...4 blades is as gay as Santas helpers...except for canola as its low velocity...and also good in poppies...

Ant...
so whats the difference in your 9750 sts to my nancyboy 4 blade setup ?:D

I seem to get plenty of wind to carry the trash, although theres not much adjustment left when its wound up doing triticale.

Is your point more blades give more wind at less RPM to save fatigue ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to drive these machines and it was a common problem, we used to turn the blades around and put them on back wards and you could get a lot more air out of it along with a modified fan shroud cover. Did not seem to make any difference to the cracks and wear of the fan.
are you referring to more venting in the shroud cover , because I did see full mesh ones once ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be another thread about someone changing colors. ;)

Mark
sorry to disappoint , I thought all the replies would be about the wallabies in the feeder house. ( for the non aussies a wallaby is a half sized kangaroo )
so in other words it sounded like turtle man going live action on a pig in a water tank. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a 7720 some years ago that spit up the fan. At that time they had a fan
improvement kit, that had a template to cut the sides of the fan opening larger
so the fan would blow more air. Did that, along with the new blades.
I suppose that is the same as the Titan II had standard.
Check into that, your JD dealer should still have the directions.

The 20 series combines were good, but they did not have enough fan for cleaning.
Went to a 9500 next, what a great improvement in every way.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had a 7720 some years ago that spit up the fan. At that time they had a fan
improvement kit, that had a template to cut the sides of the fan opening larger
so the fan would blow more air. Did that, along with the new blades.
I suppose that is the same as the Titan II had standard.
Check into that, your JD dealer should still have the directions.

The 20 series combines were good, but they did not have enough fan for cleaning.
Went to a 9500 next, what a great improvement in every way.
Yep, agree with that. The old 77** series could stuff it in but if you went too fast a lot went straight out the back. Look at all modern headers, they all have a multiblade fan. Go to a 9500 or fit a multifan in the old girl and see her perform!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes Aussie the fan guard was modified by cutting a neat circle and then placed some diamond mesh over it. The hole would have been about 300 - 400mm from memory.
The fan set up in the 9 series machines was just way in front of the 20 series.
If it was me, i would battle away with what you have got and then look for one of the later model machines. by the time you send a few bucks modifying the old 7720 you might be better off putting it to wards the next machine. They are not that dear these days and there is some good value around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.