The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard today that there is a farm fuel carbon tax exemption form that can be filled in. I confess to not knowing any details on this and would like someone with the full story to bring me up to date. Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
For Mb it says that the exemption is only for farm delivered to your yard....no cardlock. Also no exemption for propane.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmmm, no more cardlock then...

Probably not an exemption for nat gas used in drying grain?
No exemption for irrigating with natural gas pumps or the bit of natural gas used in our little grain drying operation this fall.
In other news, my son in laws parents from BC visited us the last two summers. Wonderful people. They were amazed to see natural gas risers beside irrigation pumps as well as 3 phase power lines going to other irrigation sites on our farm. Not only were they amazed, they were equally pleased to see the ingenuity and industry required to power todays farms. It had never crossed their minds our country was developed with infrastructure like that. I pointed out how dozens and dozens of countries have nothing like this at all, but here in North America and certainly western Europe, Israel, Australia, New Zealand we take it for granted. Even our gravel grid road system is probably unmatched elsewhere in the world. Even though we have built and paid for these systems with our own work and dollars, there are those who feel it is their right to tax us more and more. Sigh.:sFun_DeadHorse:

John

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I pointed out how dozens and dozens of countries have nothing like this at all, but here in North America and certainly western Europe, Israel, Australia, New Zealand we take it for granted.
In North America, gas infrastructure to homes isn't actually nearly as common as it is here in Alberta, especially in rural places. I haven't been to many parts of the US, but I've seen a lot of propane tanks in people's yards. My sister is outside Fargo, ND, and they heated with a dual mode furnace that burned diesel fuel or used electricity. Only recently they decided they wanted a gas fireplace so they now have a big tank in their back yard that runs the fireplace and they also put in a new gas furnace to replace the fuel oil one. Apparently both propane and fuel oil deliveries are common place in the United States. We're just very lucky to have natural gas infrastructure in Alberta I think.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I got wondering about Alberta so I called a bulk fuel retailer and he said with those that have the farm fuel exemption to buy dyed fuel, be it hauled out bulk to the farm or at the cardlock for dyed fuel only, the the tax is taken off so there is nothing the farmer has to do themselves.
That's one benefit to having the province run it vs the federal government. Likely that will end at the next provincial election, so we'll have to deal with the exemption form filing too sooner or later. If we're forced to have a tax, I'd rather it be local to the province, instead of giving it to the federal government. Thus I think the UCP platform to repeal the carbon tax is pretty short sighted, until the next federal election is decided.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see we need to do this now in Alberta? The form talks about self assessing the fuel charge for non eligible activities. Is this one more return we're supposed to file every year or what's their plan for us to divide each litre of fuel by the fraction we use to go to town vs go to the field?

Maybe just ask the retailer to only take the tax off farm delivered fuel? Or are we all going to vouch for each other never having been to town after January 1st and just claim it's all exempt?

I've never seen any of you any where near town, if they ask... In fact I'm pretty sure you guys never leave the yard anymore. Sounds feasible.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I never leave the farm. Everything from ass wipe to beer gets delivered. If I need to go to town I take a horse and buggy. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it:cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Where do you find that form? I can only find the one from 2016's provincial carbon tax. I found form L402 for federal but it says nothing about self-assessing for non-eligible activities.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Second sentence of L402 If a farmer receives delivery of gasoline or light fuel oil (diesel fuel) using its exemption certificate, whether the fuel was delivered at the farm or delivered at a cardlock facility that is registered as a distributor, but uses that fuel type for non-eligible farming activities, the farmer must self-assess the fuel charge based on the quantity of the fuel type that is used for purposes other than those eligible for farmers under the Act and its regulations, using Form B401, Fuel Charge Return for Non-registrants, and the related schedule

·
Registered
823 Posts
I see we need to do this now in Alberta? The form talks about self assessing the fuel charge for non eligible activities. Is this one more return we're supposed to file every year or what's their plan for us to divide each litre of fuel by the fraction we use to go to town vs go to the field?

Maybe just ask the retailer to only take the tax off farm delivered fuel? Or are we all going to vouch for each other never having been to town after January 1st and just claim it's all exempt?

I've never seen any of you any where near town, if they ask... In fact I'm pretty sure you guys never leave the yard anymore. Sounds feasible.
Don’t you have to go to town for business. Business gets mail, paperwork,parts.pay bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
It says you can only use the fuel to move farm equipment and farm trucks from the farm to another farm. I guess if I get lost on the way to the field and end up in town that might be an eligible use?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Second sentence of L402 If a farmer receives delivery of gasoline or light fuel oil (diesel fuel) using its exemption certificate, whether the fuel was delivered at the farm or delivered at a cardlock facility that is registered as a distributor, but uses that fuel type for non-eligible farming activities, the farmer must self-assess the fuel charge based on the quantity of the fuel type that is used for purposes other than those eligible for farmers under the Act and its regulations, using Form B401, Fuel Charge Return for Non-registrants, and the related schedule
Huh. Found it now through the UFA website. The L402 form on the CRA website doesn't have that.

One way to separate non-eligible fuel use is to track km travelled for personal in a log book, then multiply that by the L/100km that your vehicle gets. I already do something like that for the off-farm job.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It been mentioned, but than asked again so we can repeat; if you farm in AB with farm fuel exemption you do not have to fill out any additional forms. As for other comment on natural gas infrastructure above,, do not believe a lot of people in AB understand how "rare" natural gas can be in even parts of SK and MB, let alone even further eastern points in Cda.

Really is sad - Canada really could be like a crack dealer and taking advantage of the rest of addicts in the world and yet we choose to tax/legislate the heck of it to the point that even most of Canadians do not understand it. If addicts in the rest of the world polluted it enough to cause enough global warming Canada as a whole would become even more valuable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts