The Combine Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
I know the local UFA dealer is sending out forms to all farmers in regards to this Jan 2020 introduction of the Federal fuel carbon tax, no idea how other fuel companies are handling this or if they are leaving it up to the customer to find out. In any event its probably the easiest to call whomever one deals with on fuel and see how they are handling it, if they are sending out forms or to create one online and send it to them ... drop in at their office and fill one out etc. As it states ( and UFA told me as well ) the dyed bulk and dyed card locks for farm fuel will be exempt and as it says no further yearly action required paper wise. Here is the form I found through the link from the UFA listed Government site.

Did my UFA and COOP forum today. GST number and account number. Don’t like it but is what it is

So nice that the UCP givernment simplified things by getting rid of the provincial carbon tax that was automatically exempted for farm fuel. They jumped the gun with that bit of legislation. Should have waited until after the Federal election to make a decision and explain it to Albertans. But I suspect being able to blame Ottawa is good for them politically.

What’s to explain? Do you like paying exter taxes?

If I am going to pay a carbon tax, I'd rather pay it to Alberta than Ottawa. Wouldn't you? Put in another way, the carbon tax is here to stay until the Federal government changes hands. Therefore it was really stupid for the UCP to repeal the Alberta carbon tax. Now Albertans pay the tax, but it goes all to Ottawa. And of course we farmers are now saddled with additional paperwork and red tape including the likely requirement in the future to report when our fuel is used for personal purposes, whereas before it was automatically exempted. I'd far rather the UCP had just said to Albertans, we campaigned on the repeal of the carbon tax, but since the Federal government is not changing, we'd rather keep the tax local and use the money pay back Albertans, than let it go to Ottawa. Anyway, water under the bridge now, like you say, it is what it is.

True
But at lest if the feds slap the tax on Alberta. Gives a guy an another excuse to hate the ass clown in power

Agreed Torrie. Very shortsighted. Carbon tax revenue could have made up, to some degree, the deficit created by dropping business tax rates. Instead, public services suffer and even more money gets to go East. Shot his own province in the foot with that one. Perhaps intentionally.

Yes meritmat, I think that's probably what the ucp want. Give us something to focus our irritation on while they simultaneously cut 6000 civil service jobs while at the same time they are all excited about making an Alberta revenue agency which will take money and require even more civil service jobs (for ucp supporters perhaps). Also hearing they are all excited to write a Constitution for Alberta but no inclination to take up difficult issues like the orphan wells problem. So far I'm unimpressed with them.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.