The Combine Forum banner

Farm Sensor Survey **RESULTS**

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  MNJake 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone!!
Over the past couple of months I have been surveying friends and family and basically any farmer that would talk to me. I posted originally here: https://www.thecombineforum.com/threads/farm-sensor-research-survey.334065/#post-3356581. I am happy to say that I got a ton of replies!
I wanted to share my findings with you. Here are some of the key points: (I have summarized them to keep the data anonymous)
Data:
  • 99% agreed or strongly agreed that technology would have a positive impact on their farm and the farming industry in the future.
  • 78% would consider purchasing sensors.
  • 90% were concerned with ROI and the initial cost of the investment.
  • Secondary concerns were accuracy and the impact the sensors would have on the environment.
  • 78% of farmers currently gather nutrient levels like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. 30% currently gather ground moisture and temperature.
  • Those data points were also the data points most farmers wanted to collect.
  • 80% want to increase the variety of data they are collecting.
  • 53% of the farmers surveyed gather data themselves. 55% use consultants. 11% gather no data.
  • This data came from farmers all over North America.
  • These farmers have varying acreage.
  • They also have varying crop profiles. Here is a sample:
  • 43% grow corn
  • 32% grow soybeans
  • 17.25% grow wheat
  • 15% grow beans.
  • 5% grow flax
  • 3.45% grow oats
  • 3% grow mustard
  • 1% grow strawberries
I have been doing follow up interviews and showing farmers the prototype sensors and app software that I developed in response to the research. The hardware and software will be used in a pilot program next spring (there are still spots open, message me if you are interested).
I am still looking for more farmers to talk to. If you are willing to give me some feedback please reach out to me.
Sincerely,
Jake Loose

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.