The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of designing a shop, just been thinking about the main door size. Was thinking of a 35' by 22' bifold in one end and a 20X20 overhead in the other end, but got to thinking and trying to figure out what benefit there is to having a 35' door over a 30' or 25' wide door. my combine header is 40ft and wont be getting any smaller so I would have to go to a 45' door to make that work, and the shop will not be wide enough to fold out my air drill, so I am interested in what other people have brought into their shops that would benefit from the wider door. at present I think the combine or 4wd would be the widest unit and a 18 to 20' door would easily suffice. Any thoughts on the benefit of going 35' or even 40'.

thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the process of designing a shop, just been thinking about the main door size. Was thinking of a 35' by 22' bifold in one end and a 20X20 overhead in the other end, but got to thinking and trying to figure out what benefit there is to having a 35' door over a 30' or 25' wide door. my combine header is 40ft and wont be getting any smaller so I would have to go to a 45' door to make that work, and the shop will not be wide enough to fold out my air drill, so I am interested in what other people have brought into their shops that would benefit from the wider door. at present I think the combine or 4wd would be the widest unit and a 18 to 20' door would easily suffice. Any thoughts on the benefit of going 35' or even 40'.

thanks
Check out the FinDoor. https://findoor.ca/
I really like the looks of them and they have set up a factory in Alberta I believe?
I know that they had a display in the Integrity buildings booth at Ag In Motion.
The design seems to be quickly gaining popularity in Europe?

·
Premium Member
5,447 Posts
Is this a heated shop or cold storage? I would agree with you that what is wide enough today may not be in 5-10 years. Headers can be put in transport quickly now and how close are your fields to your shed? For us we often have to put the header in transport to bring it safely home so a wide door is not as appealing. If it is a heated shop a wide door will let out more heat when open and usually the door is not insulated as well as the walls of the shop. There are so many ways of looking at it. Certainly doors are a major cost to the project.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a heated shop, and I was thinking of using the smaller 20X20 door as the main door and only use the 35' when needed but not sure when it would be needed.

The fin door is interesting but I dont like the folding design where it extends outside, that would require snow or ice to be moved before opening, and we often have enough of that white stuff.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had the same thoughts when i built my shop. What i did was put a 26ft door on east end and a 18ft door on the southwest end facing south.
If i need to work on a header i can back it in the side door and drive the combine in the main door and hook it up in the shop.
Shop is 60x80
I put in overhead doors

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A 24’ wide even seems small when bringing in a newer combine or 4wd tractor with duals. I think you want 24 or wider. You could always do the 2 over heads with the removable mullion there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have a swing up center post system with two large overhead doors and if so how well does it work, and was the cost substantially different than a single large bifold door?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just in the process of building a 65-120. I put in a 16’ by 16’ for smaller tractors and trucks etc along one long side, one end has a 18’ by 18’ for driving larger equipment through and a 16’ by 18’ for a drive through wash bay. The other end wall has a 18/26’ sliding post setup that gives me a 44’ opening when the post is slid over. The 18’ is used mainly for washbay and driving super b’s in. Only plan on using 26’ for pulling in combines/drills etc. Prices were all very similar, I just didn’t want to be opening a large bifold every time to drive something in. Doors were special order, higher R value than standard thickness.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
We're doing much the same as Abfarms but with the door in the side with the sliding post. We never were very keen on the bifold door. Ours will have 20x20 doors in the end walls, and a 40x20 in the side, split 26/14 or thereabouts. We've talked to others with the moveable post and everyone we've talked to like them. They slide along a track on the ceiling, and then latch to the floor.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I did a 32' wide overhead on the end, and a 30' overhead on the side. 60 x 120 shop. Very happy with the doors and sizes.
Jockeyed the 35' swather into the 32' door a couple of times, but have never wanted any wider doors or needed them.
Have hooked up 45' headers in the shop before to work on them, but that's rare. Headers come into the yard on transport anyways.

I like the 30' wide door on the side as that's where I park pickup trucks, then still have room to get other stuff in and out.

32' on the end has the super b hooked up and ready, we back it out. 32' is plenty wide as you can still get lots of equipment in and out without moving the super b.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been doing a fair amount of reading of opinions on doors, and seems to be a common theme that the bifold doors seal a fair bit better than overheads, and even more so when you factor in the removable post. Given that doors are closed the vast majority of the time, I am wondering if it is not better to just get a large bifold for the big stuff and a 20 or 24ft wide overhead for day to day use and then I dont need to worry about if there is any movement in the header or concrete where the center post attaches, also the price difference to go from a 35 to 45ft bifold is not all that great in the scheme of things so maybe that is a better way to go? comments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Got 50 ft bifold and like it header stays on combines got 24 ft overhead for daily in /out .
Bifold better insulation.
Think the 50 ft creates better use out shop , cause don’t need to move any for in and out

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been doing a fair amount of reading of opinions on doors, and seems to be a common theme that the bifold doors seal a fair bit better than overheads, and even more so when you factor in the removable post. Given that doors are closed the vast majority of the time, I am wondering if it is not better to just get a large bifold for the big stuff and a 20 or 24ft wide overhead for day to day use and then I dont need to worry about if there is any movement in the header or concrete where the center post attaches, also the price difference to go from a 35 to 45ft bifold is not all that great in the scheme of things so maybe that is a better way to go? comments
I think you are on the right track with the larger bifold door and at least a 20 ft wide overhead.
I have a 20 ft wide by 16 ft overhead door in one end and a 40 ft by 18 ft bifold door in the other end of my shop. I can get the combine with big duels and a pickup header in the overhead door but it is tight, another couple of feet wider would be nice. I like the bifold in the other end but again if I was to do it over that door would also be larger, like 50 ft wide and 20 ft high. It would have been nice this year to be able to run a combine and straight cut header inside to thaw at night.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have 50 ftx22 bifold in on end. Don't need it everyday in the winter. Have a 20' overhead on the sidewall. And a 26' wide bi-fold on the other side. I think I'd give the edge to the bi-folds.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what about shop height, I can go to a larger door by dropping shop height from 22' to 20ft and cost less, my bifold would then be 45X20 and the overhead would be 24X18. anyone run into height problems with shop only being 20' tall. or 18' high opening for overhead door?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Most air drills folded up top out at 20' with the odd one over that. Big Seedmaster is one. Other than that 20' is lots in my opinion.

·
Registered
441 Posts
what about shop height, I can go to a larger door by dropping shop height from 22' to 20ft and cost less, my bifold would then be 45X20 and the overhead would be 24X18. anyone run into height problems with shop only being 20' tall. or 18' high opening for overhead door?
One problem with a wood frame building can be the ceiling height. If your ceiling is 20 ft high you may not have much head room to work on top of a high equipment like combines. This problem can be compounded by having lights, fans, etc. mounted on the ceiling. Your bifold may be 20 feet high but how much clearance do you have once you are inside the building?
My door may only be 18 ft high but since it is a steel framed building it has a few more feet of headroom once you are inside the building.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
The shop in the photo sometimes gets the drill backed in without the air cart, then jackknifed 90 degrees sideways and unfolded. It will drive out the exact same way. That bifold is likely a 45 foot x 20 door with a smaller sectional door in the other end.
5785AA17-7E6B-403E-B6ED-176B3EAD31DB.jpeg

1 - 20 of 54 Posts