The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hoping to build heated shop this summer 40x60 18 ceiling and 25x16 door what does everyone else have and suggestions

·
Registered
906 Posts
Been thinking about building one since all we have is a quonset uninsulated and no heat. Really want a 80x80 with 20' sidewalls. Cost will dictate what gets built. Guy has to dream.

·
Registered
810 Posts
40 x 66 here too, 31 years ago, but still the best investment on the farm. Any size, well insulated, big enough door, will be useful when COLD and HOT. I sent many winter days in shop, maintenance, modifications, wood work. If wood working have a separate room, with filtered return air to keep dust in. Floor drains, lots of bright white LED's, chose your heat system. Enjoy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
40x60 comes to just under 100000 for building and concrete with floor heat probly be another 2- 4 for boiler and would budget 10 for electrical lights are expensive

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
We put up a 40x40 close to ten years ago, seemed expensive enough at the time. Once the last payment was made I thought "that wasn't so bad", for just a couple more payments could have gone another 10 feet bigger. Really wish now we had at least gone 40 x 50, 40 gets tight sometimes, maybe if we didn't keep so much unnecessary crap in there, it wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
maybe if we didn't keep so much unnecessary crap in there, it wouldn't be so bad.
Same here 40x40 dad built in the early 90's and it was huge then... the only thing that is a benefit to the smaller size it does force you not store too much crap in it.

One thing I would also consider is an separate, attached office/break/restroom area. It would be nice for a desk, computer, parts manuals, monitors, etc. Don't like walling one off in the shop bay and giving up premium space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my two cents worth would be to put in two doors. I have 50x60 with one 22x16 door and im forever shuffling equipment around and having to plan what goes in and out in what order. two doors would have been a lot handier for what I do in the shop (mostly service/repair). even a smaller second door like a 14x14 would be really handy

·
Registered
253 Posts
54x80x20. 24x18 and 12x18 doors on one end. Mezzanine above workbench with bathroom, office, kitchenette, laundry room. U-drain the full length at 12ft door. Overhead hot water pressure washer. In floor heat, storage room and closet under stairs.

Ideally, bigger in every aspect. 50ft bifold opposite end of other OH doors. 10x10 door at welder. 22ft or 24ft walls. 110ft long so we could split Super Bs inside. But 90ft would at least let us get it in and open the hood. And we have a very short wheelbase semi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go higher so you can at least put a 18’ door in and do more than one door.
Built 48x92x18 in 03/04, with a 16x24 oh door. I could sneak the combines in with hopper toppers on then. But this fall I finally poured my pad outside the oh door and now the bubble auger won’t fit inside the 16’ high opening. The pad changed the angle of approach just enough to mess with it.
Plus the whole time that the pad was being prepped and poured plus waiting for the cure time, I couldn’t get anything into my shop because of the 1 door. At least put a 12x12 or something so you can sneak a pickup, Skid steer, sleds or whatever, without opening the big door. Have a 8x16 office and bathroom in one corner with storage And air compressor up top. Wished i would’ve put that as a lean to. Don’t put bathroom access through office. Drags unnecessary dirt and whatever else into that area.
We can sneak super b in and open the hood with some room to spare. Not much tho

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
hoping to build heated shop this summer 40x60 18 ceiling and 25x16 door what does everyone else have and suggestions
I have a 40'x50'x14' with lean-to on each side. I don't have time to spend all winter in the shop but it works for putting in a couple of items when I need to. I wish the ceiling was higher to work on top of the combine and such, and sometimes I wish it was longer so I could fit the whole semi in, but not very often.

No point in building a huge shop unless you have the labor to utilize it. Around here winter is for hauling grain. I can work on the drill in spring when the roads are soft.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We have a 60x100 shop with 2 30x20 doors and looking at building another that's 70x100 for semis and toys you never seem to build a shop big enough and always need more room

·
Registered
73 Posts
We built the same size shop but we put two doors in a 22x16 for the big door in the end and a 12x12 in the side .. I wish we would have put a bigger big door in tho.. the 16 foot door seems tall enough I can get everything we have in no problem.. we seem to use the small side door way more than the big one .. we also put 3 man doors in and a sea can on the one side so we can keep all the junk out of the shop .. I would highly recommend a the side door .. oh and don't cheap out on electrical

·
Registered
719 Posts
Our shop is 60 x 120 x 20. Two 24' overhead doors with sliding centre post. We put in floor heat in and i would recommend it. I would definitely go 20' walls so you can have an 18' door.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think i would go a little taller, not for just the door size but fans and lights. Check with your supplier , maybe you did but ask what is the cheapest width to build per foot. You mught be able to go wider for no cost, prairie steel told me today 40ft width is more per sqft than wider ones.
Put a air compressor switch at the door and hook a plugin to turn on with the lights.( radio)

How do the guys with the swinging post overhead doors like them?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts