The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm going for the first two days. Never go with a set schedule as it seems some of the rooms are filled up almost as soon as they open. Always like Tom Wolfe and learning something new about spraying. Make sure you stop by the seed cleaners booth Wednesday afternoon for a visit.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I'll be there. As a farmer rep of the Alberta Wheat Commission, I'll be at their booth for a few hours. I think I am there early for a couple of mornings. As a rep, I'd like to encourage everyone to come to the AWC AGM Wednesday at 11:30am. We have a few resolutions coming from the regional meetings that will be voted upon.

Looking forward to:
Herbicide Resistance by Linda Hall

Variety Registration by Erin Armstrong

Clubroot talk by Stephen Strelkov & Maureen Vadnais

Commercial Beekeeping in Western Canada by Lee Townsend

Root Rots of Pulse Crops: Diagnosis and Planning for Next Year by Syama Chatterton & Mike Harding

The Box by Marc Levinson

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I am here for all 3 days. Probably the biggest thing to improve is the lights during lunch were very low so it was hard to see to walk and eat. Not sure about other guys, but I'm not going to a farm show for the romantic mood lighting!

The sessions that I went to were good. Also lots of traffic by the booths too. Way more to the wheat commission than at agritrade. So that is excellent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please dont feed brisket at the banquet again. Surely to God we can afford a better piece of meat. Must have been 5lbs of beef fat sitting on a plate in the center of our table. If this was served at a cattle function it would certainly be the last. The worst banquet meal ever!!! As for the show, it was great. Always come away with something.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I thought the brisket was the best brisket I e ever had. The food was unbelievably good concidering they were feeding 1800 people every meal.

Top quality show all round, 4th year for me and my wife. Last year I wasn't as happy with the topics. This year it was back up to the higher standard imo.

"The box" was a bit of a disappointment so was the herbicide resistance course. The sulphur and phos course was really good and was very timely for our operation cause we're making some changes in that department this spring. All the marketing courses are huge for me.

Why in the world would they close the bar during the banquet at 7:30? Lots of pissed off guys with an arms length of drink tickets and no drinks cause the bar was closed.

I really can't believe this statement "The worst banquet meal ever!!! " is a real thought cause everyone at our table was talking about how good it was.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I thought it was good.

Was pretty happy with the concurrent sessions. I don't think I made it to a keynote because of other engagements.

Thought the pulse root rot session was good. Short on meaningful control measures, but that is to be expected since it is so new. Rotation is going to be the biggest thing for control so far, but not necessarily in the way one would think. It isn't about following a rotation to a T, but actually being willing to adapt depending on how the land is. Aphanomyces is worst on heavy, wet land. It is a water mould, and move in free water -so the closer to field saturation, the worse it will be. So those fields maybe should never be peas depending on moisture conditions in the spring.

Found out that alfalfa can also be a host and affected, though probably not as much because of its perennial root system. May be an issue during establishment however.

From the sounds of it, later seeding into warm soils makes a huge difference in that germination time is much shorter so there is less time to infect. The faster out of the ground and into seedling stage the less time for an infection to cause issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, Don as always it was an excellent premier event that I think is quickly gaining notoriety for being the best in Canada. You guys did an amazing job. Like we were talking at breakfast day 3, my only comments would be if we are forced to use Starbucks coffee at the venue, request that they switch over to their Blonde Roast for at least half of the coffee, and have it well labeled. (i.e. "Dark Roast- Strong Flavor" and "Blonde Roast- Mild Flavor"). I have heard many echo the same comments as myself at the coffee stands so I know I am not alone.
Southalta raised a good point with the brisket. Maybe our table was the only one other than his, but the cuts that we had were at least 30% fat. the flavor was great but every person had a significant plateful of fat when they were done. I understand cooking for 1700+ ppl is a huge task, so I wasn't going to say anything. Just backing up Southalta so it doesn't appear he was alone in his observation.

But seriously, these suggestions are miniscule when compared to the thousands of points of detail that you guys have to deal with. Hats off to all of you for yet another stellar farm show that set the bar to a new standard! Congratulations!

PF

·
Registered
230 Posts
This conference reminds me again how much I enjoy being a farmer. You can take a presenter from about any background and he has relevant info to help us run better. Particularly excited about developing a 100 year plan for our farm. I see huge potential for including non-farming family members in this as well to eliminate hard feelings in the future. Intergenerational guy was eye-opening as well. For the first time I used bus shuttle services as well. Nice bonus to visit with others as well.

John

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Thanks all!

I hate Northlands/Starbucks coffee, I'm obviously not alone and unlike the food I never received any compliments on the coffee.

Lighting at the first lunch was like eating by the Braille system!

Not sure why but I really like how the Northlands does breakfast, I think Jayne tends to over cook bacon.:(

I don't know why there was confusion on bar close time at the banquet, I was nowhere near the bar that night, I'd stocked up the night before.;)
Certainly have to clear closing time up in the future.

As to opening trade show bar earlier I don't think the board wants it open until after AGM's but I'll bring it up.

Anyone take in the Farmer's Edge event Tuesday night?
We had a much bigger crowd this year but it scattered immediately after so we are still tinkering with that time slot.

Anyone try Edmonton's LRT?

Anything else?:confused:

·
Registered
813 Posts
I took in the event for the first time. To say the least I was very impressed, a world class event in my opinion. In my former life as a Petroleum Engineer I had frequented a number of events/conferences that were underwhelming compared to this conference.
I enjoyed all of the keynote speakers, very relevant I thought even though not specific to farming. The concurrent sessions I attended were informative for the most part, it was good to see different ideas and points of view.
The food was excellent, other than the chicken/barley which our entire table thought had little to no flavour.
Lighting was a little tough to find your table or friends, lots of squinting.
The venue was excellent, everything close. Just wish there were more hotels nearby...oh well minor problem.
A pat on the back is much deserved for the planning committee, again very impressed.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I hate Northlands/Starbucks coffee, I'm obviously not alone and unlike the food I never received any compliments on the coffee.

Lighting at the first lunch was like eating by the Braille system!

Not sure why but I really like how the Northlands does breakfast, I think Jayne tends to over cook bacon.:(

I don't know why there was confusion on bar close time at the banquet, I was nowhere near the bar that night, I'd stocked up the night before.;)
Certainly have to clear closing time up in the future.

As to opening trade show bar earlier I don't think the board wants it open until after AGM's but I'll bring it up.

Anyone take in the Farmer's Edge event Tuesday night?
We had a much bigger crowd this year but it scattered immediately after so we are still tinkering with that time slot.

Anyone try Edmonton's LRT?

Anything else?:confused:
Yes the coffee was absolutely terrible! I was standing second in line when the one girl said that the bar was closed, when I turned to look at guys faces they had the look like they were going to dismantle the expo center brick by brick! I quite enjoyed the show, this was my third time and I enjoy it more every year!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I was there all 3 days instead of my planned 2 days.

The coffee was way to strong but was better when I half filled the cup with hot water, then coffee.

The mood lighting was not needed as I left my date at home feeding cows. Turn the lights on so we can see where we are going and eating. The food was better than the lighting suggested. Well actually the food was great.

For that many people they need more ticket sellers and more bartenders, I hate line ups so no one at our table even had a drink. We went back to the hotel and had our fill there. So a bunch of lost revenue for somebody that night.

But the conference was excellent. As always. Keep it up. It must be difficult to plan this event as the bar keeps getting higher and you guys keep it at that level or jump over that high bar. Good work Don.

Our booth at the trade show(the Alberta Seed Cleaners) gets more traffic than at Agri Trade by at least double. I'm pretty sure we will be back again next year.
Colin.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.