The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed an easement with Saskwater to allow water line on my land to serve a potash plant in my RM. During the negotiation, I asked for a connection to the water and they said sure. I thought it would increase the value of my land someday.

So now I have a 50 m3/day (12,000 gal/day) permanent water source on my property. Its fresh, untreated lake water from Buffalo Pound. I have an assay of the water and it looks like it can be improved by treatment fairly easy, not to drinking water quality though.

Now the question is, what do I do with it in the mean time? I had considered putting up a little greenhouse operation but I have no experience in that.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The charge is 63 cents per m3, so about $30 bucks a day for the full volume.

I had also considered a small tree farm/nursery but thats a multi-year committment and you probably wouldn't have your first trees for a few years.

If you did a greenhouse or tree nursery, how would you sell this stuff? I sell grain and oilseed crops. I don't have marketing skills in any other area so it seems a little daunting.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the property is only about 3 miles from Regina so I think there would be trouble with any intensive operation like that. Not that I want to be a feedlot operator.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure you have operate and run a greenhouse to own it.

Maybe a rental with someone wanting to operate but doesn't have the means to build? Maybe a established green house business wanting to expand, could be one from father away or even another prov. Hutterite colony that has access to farmers market etc.
Just ideas!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that enough to run a pivot? I have no idea what it would be in acre/feet or whatever they measure irrigation in... or does your arrangement only work per day, not lots in the summer and less in the winter?
Its not enough to run a pivot over a quarter section or something. You might be able to irrigate 40-80 acres that way but considering the amount of rain fall we have had in the past few years, irrigation isn't needed for our field crops.

There is a sod farm a few miles south of us that irrigates a few hundred acres. Not sure who their customers are or if sod is better money than grains.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the farm sits on 50-100 mile radius of heavy clay strata and I don't of anyone who has hit water by drilling a well yet.

The area is by no means water short, but locally on the heavy clay there are no sources like that except for sloughs and dugouts I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.