The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
With the payouts that have been awarded I think Bayer will be wishing they never bought Monsanto. Does anyone know the farmers name that suing Monsanto? Does anyone know if the Non Hodgkins lymphoma rate is higher in farmers than the regular population?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Try on CTV. They mentioned his name, Saskatchewan farmer. I was not paying enough attention to remember the name they mentioned.

·
Registered
204 Posts
These lawsuits are a total joke. Not sure how they can prove this. Was it the couple in Alberta who was saying how they thought it was safe because the guy in the commercial was spraying it in his shorts so they figured it was safe and no protective clothing was required. Since when is ignorance a defense? Everything is right there in plain English in the MSDS that says what to wear for ppe and safe handling

·
Registered
501 Posts
The only people getting rich here are the lawyers.

2 billion dollar damages will never be paid out. They'll appeal and appeal until it's reduced significantly or settled out of court.

This has nothing to do with glyphosate anyway, it has everything to do with people trying to cash in off large companies. If they aren't attacking glyphosate they'll move on to the next one.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
It was only a matter of time. The (Liberal) **** ambulance chaser from Regina couldn't resist. There's 2 blatant lies in the Producer story - one that there's any health risk and two that the so-called farmer contacted Merchant. I see he claims to have used Roundup twice a year in his "custom app" business. He must have really been pushing the envelope to use it that often. Unfortunately the science no longer matters - I wonder how long before Bayer throws in the towel.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
If long term health is your primary concern then farming shouldn't be your choice in career.

If all this guy(or any of the claimants) did in their life was spray roundup in a sterile environment then there might be a case, but guaranteed he sprayed a plethora of other chemicals, ate processed food, didn't get 8 hours sleep regular, had stress in his life, etc, etc.

This farmer should be shunned...

·
Registered
770 Posts
With the payouts that have been awarded I think Bayer will be wishing they never bought Monsanto. Does anyone know the farmers name that suing Monsanto? Does anyone know if the Non Hodgkins lymphoma rate is higher in farmers than the regular population?

I knew a near neighbour and friend that has passed from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was diagnosed before Roundup was invented :bang:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If long term health is your primary concern then farming shouldn't be your choice in career.

If all this guy(or any of the claimants) did in their life was spray roundup in a sterile environment then there might be a case, but guaranteed he sprayed a plethora of other chemicals, ate processed food, didn't get 8 hours sleep regular, had stress in his life, etc, etc.

This farmer should be shunned...
This is exactly it.... how can they prove the cause.... as a society we hardly understand cancer to begin with.... to say, without a reasonable doubt, it came from this guys spraying roundup is absurd...

If I get throat cancer I'm suing McDonalds cuz it came from drinking hot double doubles.....

A-Rough-Guide-to-IARC-Carcinogen-Classifications_1558101415559.png

·
Registered
339 Posts
If it's the same Gadd family I'm thinking of, don't you have to actually do some actual work to get exposed to this? There's a field west of Moose Jaw right on the highway, hasn't had a crop successfully harvested in about 15 years. Last years crop (which was the first seeding in close to 10 years) is still standing. Last time they harvested something, a bunch of the grain got left in piles on the north edge of the field, still there, black as death....

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If it's the same Gadd family I'm thinking of, don't you have to actually do some actual work to get exposed to this? There's a field west of Moose Jaw right on the highway, hasn't had a crop successfully harvested in about 15 years. Last years crop (which was the first seeding in close to 10 years) is still standing. Last time they harvested something, a bunch of the grain got left in piles on the north edge of the field, still there, black as death....
Pretty sure this is a different guy/family.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fair enough. Was actually thinking about this more as I was milking tonight. Don't want to come across as a complete dick: very sorry to hear of his poor health, absolutely guessing on the possible relation, wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I am surprised from the reaction of farmers on this subject. I though we should maybe join this class action in hopes of helping the farm make a profit this year. The amount of money being awarded is insane. It is just like winning the lottery. It seems like the jurys do not care about government safety studies but represent the general publics skepticism and hate for Monsanto. There are so many things we are exposed to that can cause cancer. I am surprised the court can pin it all to the roundup use for these individuals. I wonder if this farmer will have to have documention that he used the Monsanto version of roundup and not the many other clones. For me I might be out of luck because of all the Chinese glycosate I have been using for years. If only I had bought the high price stuff.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts