The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I will have to sit next year out, except I will have to crop the lease block I guess...so will do 90 acres...question is what can I do with my two blocks for one or two years? There's no pasture to speak off as they will be stubble...I'm pretty much at a loss as to what my options are.

I work away on 7/7 so can't have stock, plus fencing is crappy on both blocks.

My wheat at Portland this year is to wet again, so not sure it will amount to anything much, and the bird damage at toolondo is horrendous, I need to be around full time so things can be done right, I can't quit my mining job as I'm flat out paying bills now and divorce doesn't help the situation.

Some pics from toolondo, when you get the seeding right it's awesome, but it's a nightmare when it's not perfect, you can see the gaps from the seeder tyre, I'd rather save for a decent seeder and save myself the work which
H is flat out covering cost and last year pretty much lost money....

Would love to hear some ideas?

Ant...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would have been a ripping stand of Forrest in the perfect year, except seeding depth has f**ked my chances of something decent from this...might go 1 tonne acre I guess maybe? It is tillering well?

Ant..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Have you explored other options to grain farming around Portland? Seems the environment is suited to growing grass, is there a market for grass? Be it as a standing crop sold to a dairy farmer or adjusting dry cows and heifers for a dairy farmer? You could make money out of rye grass while most of use spend heaps on controlling it.

Madsnake

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dairy cockies making money at the moment MS, so your probably right, they are the market to aim at...was not real keen to let cattle back on block after spending all this money straightening out? How much damage can they do in 1 year?

Spring barley might be an option? How would barley go after 2 years of wheat? It would help spread the cost I guess?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Chin up if your sick of the rain you could send us some getting very dry here now.
Your wheat looks alright to me I'd be happy to have it up here.

Having said that Ant I understand where your coming from when I just ran headers I was very hard to get work done at home because u weren't always there.
Look at growing hays and silage something that can be done when you not there.
Good wheat oats or barley silage up here right now would sell for around 50 a ton and up.

But hang I there don't give up

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers BF, I like the idea of doing hay pr growing it on contract for a dairy farmer to cut and bale as it won't suffer bird damage like the grain does, you need to be around to fire a shot or two...I'm not sure what the wheat will yield? Problem is when it's wet you don't know how it's gonna pull through, and how much bird damage I will get, will ask around about silage, see of it's viable, would be a bit easier on me work load wise. Need to work out a rate as well, is there a rule of silage to hay ratio for price?

Ant...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ant we work on winter cereals yielding some where around 7 to 8 ton of silage. If you cut several time in the season you'll get better quality but not quite as much but you can demand a bit more money.
Mad snake has a good idea with ryegrass you here they tell us our ryegrass needs a min of 8mm a week to grow well.
Rye grass will riled well to and you'll get serval cuts of one planting.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
left field suggestion there isn't a dairy farmers son nearby just left school working home on dairy and would mind a little tractor driving and give him a good wage or small percentage and he uses your machinery and you still do as much as you can on your time at home? Saves undoing all your good work of last few years

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
And here I was, thinking farming full time was a waste of time!!!
Seriously, I think Madsnakes idea of sowing down to a predominantly Ryegrass/white clover pasture and Dry cow/ Dairy heifer/ Young stock ajistment, would be feasible.
Out of those, the young stock (heifers from weaner to yearling size) would probably be best, as they will do less damage to the wet ground in winter.
Of course you will need fences. A two plain wire and steel post electric fence would work o.k.
If my eyes serve me correctly, your ground does look quite sandy. I`m guessing your sandy flat country has a high water table in winter? I have had extensive experience running all types of Cattle on similar coastal country if you have any questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Growing lucerne for hay or silage would be an option , you are close to the dairy markets. There is always the option to punt lambs off it as well. But that may not suit as you are on leased ground. Good luck.ps. The latest front has just started raining on us.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers everyone...

STO, I like your idea, I will approach the dairy farmer who leased my block when I first got it, and have another guy in mind as well, surely be able to get someone interested for silage, I can plant it, grow it, spray it etc...and no bird damage to worry about....will toss some ideas around.

Lynas, if agisting, will need to spend some money on fences, plus don't have any cattle yards? There is some next door so that may be an option as well, however not keen on cows they will make a mess.....!!

Sunny, does Lucerne grow under water? I hope so! I am trialling spring barley this year under sown to ML99 and Sequel, spring barley is and option, strip the top off and leave for a month then bale straw and Lucerne mix, I still have the problem of bird damage, so I'm gonna need a partner with a gun license one way or another.

Thanks for the suggestions....it's good to have some ideas

Rain just got here....I'm hoping for less than 25mm but don't like my chances. So pissed I couldn't get seeding depth right at toolondo, the Forrest is cracking, I need a 3-4 row harrow bar for final finish, and a scare gun, they have wiped 5-10 acres absolute bare, incredible, even levelled the dirt...

Ant...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Birds have had a good go at my brennan wheat and Grange barley. Water will be all through last summers potato ground, looks like 12 weeks underwater this year instead of the usual 6.

Spring plant your lucerne. Once it has established well it is pretty forgiving. I also have 10t of Aurora lucerne seed for sale. This tends to reduce the cost of seed if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
How about Spring corn for wholecrop Silage. Do you have enough heat units to grow Corn there? Dairy farmers love that stuff. You would need plenty of fertilizer.
This would effectively get you by the problem of high watertable waterlogging in winter and the root nutrient tie up problems that you seem to be having.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.