The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
i have alot of money tied up in snap-on.i have a very good dealer also,warrantys anything even if its misused.dont get me wrong i love the tools,but now we have a very good mac man and there stuff is cheaper and just as good quility as snap-on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We also used snap-ons in the past they were good, but expensive and we were losing to many of them in the field. So we switched it master craft Canada, the tools are just as good but half the money and you can afford to lose a couple.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Snap on are the best but pricey bought most of mine over 20 years ago and haven't had to replace many that got lost . Just myself and two brothers use them guess a long time ago i put the fear of my hellfire in them if they lost one of my tools . I look at the purchase of a tool as a lifelong investment so buy quality . I also have grey ,mac (not too fond of ) ,some craftsman and armstrong for the big tools over 1 1/4"

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I had some Craftsman stuff break on me. Just two open end wrenches, but still that realy surprised me. I have to send off for replacements. No local Sears here, just an order center.

I just don't think Craftsman is as good as it used to be. Home shop work, yes, but advise professional mechanics to go with S-K, S-O, or one of the other upper-line, jobber-sold brands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stanley Tool makes Snap On, Mac, Proto, Napa and of course Stanley. All of these are made by Stanley but made from different alloys/metals and causing a differing MSRP. Check out a mac box and a snap on box if you have the chance to compare side by side see if the differences aren't vague. Also another tool box manufacturer that builds alot for others is Waterloo, I know the Deere boxes are Waterloo boxes w/ Deere emblems.

B

·
Registered
62 Posts
S-K and SK wayne, craftsman, and before i joined the army i was slowly replacing my craftsman stuff with snap-on. I also loved my Gearwrenches they are the best invention ever in my opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My grandfather also bought a socket and wrench set made by S-K around that time and had it from being a farmhand-Being a farmer/custom harvester-Now. He has lost one thing a 7/8 socket and he stills knows who he lent it to and never gave it back.

I couldn't keep tools that long I had a bad habit of fixing something in a hurry and then leaving stuff on steps or in the dirt and forgetting it it was costly...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dewalt and Makita Powertools
Hand tools
Craftsman wrenches and Screwdriver and ball peen hammers
Estwing Framin hamers
the rest of our stuff is a mix we got macs to Snapons SKs to Williams. What ever we need at the time or my dad can get from a Job
\Nick

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
the supporters of snap on seem to be petty thick on the ground, i have a friend that is a mechanic and has actually worn out some snap on tools over time you don't notice it but they get easier to fit on the same size nuts, but he is on his tools every day. most farmers wear and tear is not a consideration, they will get lost or rust before they wear. i have got sidchrome (australian brand) they are quality tools but my main reason for buying them is my dad had minimax and his worker had kingchrome, if ever i saw a sidchrome tool in someone elses box i new where it came from. for my money of this range kingchrome is the better brand because a broken tool only needs to be returned to a dealer and they hand a new one over the counter, with sidchrome they tend to want to send them away and then accuse you of abuse and not using the tool for its original purpose. i say dont get cheap tools just make sure its different from everyone else in the operation. failing that some enamel paint worked into the lettering on each tool will identify its owner. a lot of tools are not lost they just aquire different owners

·
Registered
998 Posts
SIDCHROME - "you canna hanna manna granna spanna". That's their motto - Australian equivalent to Snap On. I also have some Case IH tools which are made by Snap On just for wank wank value.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i have a set of john deere flat wrenches that was purchased in 1976....still in steller condition except the 9/16 and 3/4 are pretty well worn out

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i just remembered a tactic with tools that my neighbour had, he used to buy his workers a tool kit as a bounus, but they were required to use it for work, so if they lost any it was there own tool. another take is to have a set for each part timer and they have to replace missing ones at the end of employment. have not done it myself though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i go to alfred state college in wellsville, NY. of course mac and snap on are pushed hard with big discounts to college kids. but i got looking and craftsman was a lot cheaper. so i have a lot of craftsman a little mac stuff and a decent amount of chrome vanadium sockets. i do a lot of shoppinf around being i am a college kid with no money lol. i like the craftsman service the most, never had a problem returning a broken tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a set of John Deere sockets that have worked pretty well for me, I have mostly all craftsman other than that... I'm only 21 and just getting started, its hard to afford more than that at start up. I have spent some money on a set of Dewalt 18V power tools including the 1/2 impact and I love the crap out of that thing...

But my hopes are if i can make any money I would like to slowly piece together a quality snap on set for my shop...I dont think I would dare leave them in a pickup toolbox for sure...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive got a mix but no snapon its expensive dont want to plant it! never cant catch truck to even get those hard to find ! I got a complete set of metric & standard gear wrench brand gear wrenches they can really make the work go faster they are the first wrench I reach for dont grab a socket anymore unless only a socket will reach ! I decided after a hot day in the wheat field after having to take off 3 belts to get to one with a standard wrench to get the complete set of gearwrenches. Did break a 13/16 & local dealer replaced no questions whats a cheater any way ? lol
got some craftsman, crescent, Ingersol rand air tools hammer,grinder,1/4, 1/2, 1" really like my 1/2" drive titanium impact lightweight & alot of torque ! 1" is handy when u got totear aprt a disk gang & tighten ! 1/4" is great for replacing sections wont twist off bolts!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts