The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 873 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k. We`ve had favorite beer. How about favorite genre of music, for those that are musically inclined.
Mine is Hard blues based rock, but I also enjoy 1970`s disco and funk.
How about naming some favourite bands and maybe including a favourite you tube music clip.
Also, how about naming the first music concert you ever went to, or the first album you ever bought!

·
Registered
527 Posts
All music!

Christian contemporary to Octane Metal to Electronic Mix to old and new Country to opera and symphony......

My favorite is my daughters bopping around the house singing their favorite worship songs....

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I guess your music preferences are linked to the decade(s) you grew up in. Late '60's, '70's & early '80's string the bow for me, although, there is plenty of good music from many era's. Eagles, CCR, Dylan, The Band, Kristofferson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Neil Young, Emmylou Harris, Joan Baez, Dire Straits, Neil Diamond, Garth Brooks, Vince Gill - the list could go on ......
More often than not, nowadays, I listen to audio books in the cab. A great story makes the day, or night, fly past.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Everything except rap. Even though Eminem is alright. Like grunge, Pearl Jam, Nirvanna, etc. I listen to a lot of everything. Some of the top 40 pop stuff of hip hop or bubble gum nature is meant mostly for children or weak minded young adults. I'm gonna get flamed yet. Simply formulaic crap that sells. Heck even rock has the same drones like our beloved Nikelback. Not bad band but it's nothing special. Go to the other end with tragically hip who is super big in Canada but couldn't go anywhere else cause their music is more original art work. On the same note Leonard Cohen another Canadian and world renowned poet and songwriter is another gem to listen to if you want some easy listening thoughtful lyrics. On the country western end there are lots of lesser known cowboy types like Ian Tyson, Corb Lund, Chris Ledoux who aren't into the bro country of today. I'm a music snob and do have the odd weak moment for a guilty pleasure of top 40 stuff but when I'm driving a tractor the radio is mostly off. I like the sound of a humming diesel and to make sure things are running alright. Wife says I'm nuts.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mostly new and classic rock. I have been listening to some country/blues like Sturgis Simpson, Nathaniel Ratcliffe , and Alabama shakes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My formative years were the `70`s and early eighties, so bands like deep purple, foreigner, the who, neil young with crazy horse, the cult, the angels, AC/DC, KISS, ZZ topp, the stones, the doors (lots of stuff with "the" in front of it:)) were influential, along with a lot of disco and new wave type stuff.

First ever music concert for me: KISS in 1980.:)

First Album: Deep Purple-In Concert (1970/72 live)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I listen to everything from metal and rock, to electronic music, to classical; pretty much anything except country and pop trash. If a radio station says anything like "playing today's best hits!" then it isn't for me. Here's a selection of what Youtube is recommending, and stuff off the top of my head.

The Devil and the Almighty Blues -- Sort of a blusey stoner Southern rock from Norway. Most people are saying, "huh?" right now, but just give it a listen. If you're a fan of classic rock, then this is right up your alley.

Perturbator - Sentient -- Track 8 from the new album The Uncanny Valley. I've heard this called synthwave or retrowave; think of it like a modern take on an 80s horror or sci-fi movie soundtrack. Heavy cyberpunk themes with Perturbator, which is always cool.

Norma Jean - Redeemer -- Norma Jean is hard, fast, and loud. Just what the doctor ordered to stave off that 5:30 nap attack when you're in a big field and everything is going smoothly.

Kataklysm - Serenity in Fire -- Canadian death metal. These guys are riff masters.

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity -- It's Monster Magnet. Nothing more to say.

·
Registered
99 Posts
First concert for me was Edward Bear and Bob Seager was the warm up act. My favorite band growing up was the Who, also liked Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, the Rolling Stones and The Doors. Later on it was Kiss, AC/DC and George Thorougood.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Like I said, I don't listen to all metal, all the time, that's just what youtube happened to be recommending. Octane is No. 2 on my radio presets, but there is a lot of new modern rock that just doesn't do it for me. On Thursdays my radio is stuck on Electric Area for A State of Trance with Armin van Buren, and Global DJ Broadcast with Markus Shulz. I grew up on classic rock, but after 30+ years of listening to the same stuff on FM radio every day it's hard for me to go back to a lot of it. Most of those bands' back catalogs are great, they just never get any air time. I don't really need to hear Back in Black again.

Going in a completely opposite direction, a lot of the games I've played in the past has some excellent music.

I spent many, many days during my college years playing a game called Final Fantasy XI. The music will always be special to me. Listen to this on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and relax for a bit.

This is my one of my favorite songs of all time, taken from an orchestral compilation of Final Fantasy music.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Just about anything from symphony to hard rock, country to grunge. Took band in school, piano lessons,....and found out I do not have a talent for actually playing music myself, so I have a great appreciation for those who can and do, Got to see a few concerts, Reba, Garth Brooks, Liked Roy Clark the best, the man can perform and could play just about any instrument. We have local Coffee House nights here where anyone with an instrument can come and entertain. Was kind of surprised how many local kids play violin, guitar, drums, and the like. Very good exposure and practice for the young artists, and a nice relaxing evening having coffee and great entertainment and dancing. There is a local 12 year old who can play a mean polka fiddle.

1 - 20 of 873 Posts