The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was into high end stereo for many years but got away from it about six years ago. I would listen to quite a range if music except rap, dance and heavy metal. I would find artists that would put out not just good songs but also well recorded music. There is a lot of music that played on a radio of a vehicle that was pretty bland but at home sitting in a dim room in the sweet spot i could be listening to Gary Allen, Roxy Music, Holy Cole Trio, Bruce Cockurn, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Diamond, Alabama and a bunch more i cant think of right now. When listening to the radio now it is mainly talk radio or country.

·
Registered
984 Posts
First concert in my youth. Edmonton was where I saw them and by that time Tommy could guzzle a bottle of Jack and make that drum cage go crazy. I loved this band growing up and envied that they could line the chicks of their choice up and do whatever a jacked up rockstar could think of lol. Read the Heroin Diaries sometime wow!!!! I love all music now. It has to have a definite beat. Disturbed to old Johnny cash himself.No beat and it gets turned off quickly. AC/DC have a drink on me Cranked to 10 used to fire me up in the old days partying hard. Lemmy and the Ace of Spades makes the blood pump too. Lemmy lied and died. changed the original lyrics from "dont forget the joker " to "apparently I am" RIP lemmy. Falling asleep with autosteer on is not possible playing this song for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
and RIP Chris Bailey!
Yes that takes me back Lynas.
Australia through the 70s and 80s seemed to produce some exception talent, with the Easy Beats cutting the path for others to follow, ACDC obviously, then probably Chisel, The Angles, Rose Tattoo, then the Aus Crawl, INXS, Midnight Oil, Hunters era, to name but a few, there seemed to be a continuous run of decent home grown bands. Now, I can't think of one.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Yes that takes me back Lynas.
Australia through the 70s and 80s seemed to produce some exception talent, with the Easy Beats cutting the path for others to follow, ACDC obviously, then probably Chisel, The Angles, Rose Tattoo, then the Aus Crawl, INXS, Midnight Oil, Hunters era, to name but a few, there seemed to be a continuous run of decent home grown bands. Now, I can't think of one.
I agree! The pub rock scene back then was terrific, too!
What happened to it?

The Angels "Rick Brewster" would be one of the best rock guitarists Australia has produced.

Hard to beat a bit of Australian garage rock!
Here`s one I like from the "Tatts"

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pretty eclectic listening tastes among the members here. I don't care too much about genre, I just like a good song. With my ipad in the tractor on shuffle, I could hear The Trews, Ozzie, Eagles, Don Williams, BTO, Maiden, Dolly Parton, Floyd, Nigel Kennedy, ZZ Top, Police, George Strait, and on and on. My first concert was the Beach Boys in Lethbridge 30 years ago. Best concert was John Mellencamp in 1988. Billy Joel concerts are always great. First album was Joe Walsh's But Seriously Folks. Great album, still listen to it today.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Tragically Hip; moments ago I learned that the front man for this Canadian band has been battling an incurable form of brain cancer. Fortunately the area of the brain effected will not impede his lyrical memory for his final tour.

I always enjoyed the bands unique composition and lyrical style. We wish him the best.

I always liked how they just let the guitars do their job, like a beautiful handling machine that doesn't need to be forced. Especially on this piece.

Gord Downie's 'incurable' brain cancer won't keep him from singing, his doctor says - Toronto - CBC News

·
Registered
116 Posts
My favorite 10 years of pop/top 40 music would be from about 1977 to 1987.
And 1979 being my all-time favorite.
I don't like (c)rap and heavy metal.
My first 45 was paradise by the dashboard light from Meat Loaf.
Always try to find a Golden Oldies station on the radio.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Mostly metal is my favorites. I still love the oldies from "my time", like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dio, Warlock, WASP, Tesla, to name a few, and there's many more. Never cared for much "pop". Never cared for country much at all, though Johnny Cash is just super cool, and very unique if you think about it. Toward the end of his life when he remade songs like Rusty Cage and some others, was just bone chilling cool in my book.

But the new "metal", I don't know if they still call it metal or what, that my boys (21 and 18) like I think is freakin' awesome! I hate to name a few bands and give you guys the wrong impression, because only a few names come to mind, but I really love their music believe it or not. Stuff like Dragon Force, Bullet for my Valentine, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, (Yeah, I shouldn't have named names....!)

Pretty sure my first concert was Triumph (Helix opened), in a small old hockey rink in Canada. For a 3 man band, Triumph erupted with a wall of sound that felt like CPR! Wow!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, sad day for Canada and music fans all over. The hip were one of those bands that I never really cared for at first, but the more I listen to them the more I liked them. After 20 or so years of listening to them there are one of my favorite bands. I was lucky enought to see them on the fully completly anniversary tour. 2nd last tour for them. Absolutely fantastic show.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Favourite concert ever was the hip playing outdoors. Rained two inches during the concert but they did not let up and played right through it. I always liked their "B side" stuff more than what was "popular." Their performance on SNL was as tight as any that have ever played there. Gord Downie will be missed.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I just recently learned you Canadians have a band I listen to! Can you believe it? And no, it's not Nickelback and if you were thinking Justin Bieber..... why I ought da....! LoL!

Theory of a Dead Man or Theory, pretty darn good band, listened to them for years and I had no idea the were from BC

21 - 40 of 687 Posts