The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have replace 4 of them before this rain quits so I can seed winter wheat. I have plenty of ideas to make this easier. Now using a homemade spreader system that uses 1/2" threaded rods welded to some plates with tubes that just fit over the rods and 1/2" thick plate to press the wheels apart and bend them as little as possible. Works fairly well, slow. Still had to cut one and use a porta power to help. I have ideas to use an enerpac type system with 3 or 4 cylinders to take off the packers. Problem is this system would cost a few thousand or more and have to wait for it arrive.
Just taking a break before I start on another one, thinking out loud. 2 done, 2 to go.
Hope everyone is getting more farmwork done than I am.

Adding link to pic of press tool I have been using. It has been a huge help getting this job done. Thanks to my brother in law and father in law for building it years ago when they rebearinged a 5000.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=809A9751D17019E8%2114383
Anyone able to post the pic is sure welcome.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
when I have to remove seized packer wheels I find the best way is to remove the gang and suspend packer on pallet forks. Hammer the crap on the pallet forks and the vibration will remove the packer wheel....works almost every time

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Just take it to the local machine shop, I got better things to do then spend a whole day on 1 bearing (that's what it took the last time)

The machine shop in town has a special tool they made, the local RME dealership sends all there packers there to

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only a couple bad ones the tool I linked a pic to above didn't work on. Figured I better check them all much closer. Ended up with 7 bad. Then a few more that are the older style. Drying out fast enough now I will get the few more bearings I need then maybe update the rest later. I would try the pallet fork thing, but I don't have a fork lift and my tractor with forks in hooked to an auger 15 miles away I am using for harvest. Sounds like a good idea. I may order a 2 1/2" impact socket. Wearing out my wheel bearing socket.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ianwickum , when you get a chance could you give us some specs on the tool that your inlaws built . Plate thickness and rod size , If a guy put 4 porta power cylinders where the threaded rods are it would be a nice tool for splitting packers . Thanks .

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tmk, you will have to figure one out. They will be slightly different for each packer wheel. Wider wheels have less space between them and narrower spacing, less space for the spreader to fit. It has 1/2-3/4" plate and 3/4" bolts. I think I once said 1/2". I was being stupid, sorry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quit playing around. Save yourself a bunch of grief !!!!! Take it to George's at Penhold. He has a platform with a jackhammer. Only takes a few minuits. Then put on the better bearing wit the triple seal!!!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What makes these packers so hard to get off the shaft? Is it just rust and dirt or is there a steel ridge pushed up on the shaft? Is the steel ridge caused by loose packers? Was just looking at a Princess Auto sale flyer and see 2 1/2" x 30" rams for $154. Seems it would be worthwhile to build some kind of a press/puller and do it with hydraulic muscle. I have thought about it for years but my Concord and Bourgaults never needed it. Just looking at the FC puller posted above it would be easy to replace the jack with a ram. I had always thought about building a 2 or 3 ram press to support the wheel and push on the shaft. Maybe an attachment to add onto a skid steer with forks. You can do the lifting with the forks and the press could be bolted onto the forks to push down on the shaft . Any thoughts from those of you that have experience?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There a pain to remove, hollow wheel, Flexi-coil tool is a joke, would have to see Georges set up on removing with air hammer, have done many, smaller packers with one wheel before brg, not to bad, two packer wheels and brg sob if not been antiseized, clearance is so tight, slip fit, if nuts come loose then then fun begins. I have cut shaft, shaft is cheap along with bushings, made a tool to press shaft out of 50 ton press, will make it bark, sometimes we had to heat them, scored wheel boring, had to clean it up with a die grinder, if George wasn't so far away I would send him a lot, Scott.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.