The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Like most things, some things were improved on the 75, such as better drive for hyd pumps, better wear in hinge area. And some things are much poorer on the 75, such as the poor latching of the end shields and the divider points don't come off as easy for winter storage.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Like most things, some things were improved on the 75, such as better drive for hyd pumps, better wear in hinge area. And some things are much poorer on the 75, such as the poor latching of the end shields and the divider points don't come off as easy for winter storage.
Sometime you have to wonder what the @$&" they were thinking when they redesign things. The end shields on the last fd70's were awesome compared to the fd75's.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Those end sheilds on the 75 are a step backwards for sure. I was told by salesman they are like that to satisfy the European market safety regulations. The good thing is they made a bigger notch in them to access the knife head grease zerk without having to remove the shield. The only reason to open them is too check the belt and remove any debris that builds up in there, both of which can be done once a week.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On a FD 70 how about from a 09 to a 11. The 09 I'm looking at is $25,000 less and has a pea auger the 11 doesn't have auger.
I don't know all of the differences among the years of the FD70's, but I believe 2011 is when they changed how the center draper was attached. I had a 2010, and the center draper section had two chain links on either side of it that went over pegs to "hang" the draper section right behind the cutter bar. In 2011 (?) they changed over to a wishbone piece on either side of the front roller of the center draper. I never saw the update in person, but that is how it I saw it described. Anyways, this was a necessary update because the chain links will eventually wear through, and then the center draper will fold under the header and wreck the adapter. You could get the new style to update the older headers. Assuming the rest of the header looks to be in good shape, I wouldn't be afraid of the 2009 header as long as the update has been done or you can do it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know all of the differences among the years of the FD70's, but I believe 2011 is when they changed how the center draper was attached. I had a 2010, and the center draper section had two chain links on either side of it that went over pegs to "hang" the draper section right behind the cutter bar. In 2011 (?) they changed over to a wishbone piece on either side of the front roller of the center draper. I never saw the update in person, but that is how it I saw it described. Anyways, this was a necessary update because the chain links will eventually wear through, and then the center draper will fold under the header and wreck the adapter. You could get the new style to update the older headers. Assuming the rest of the header looks to be in good shape, I wouldn't be afraid of the 2009 header as long as the update has been done or you can do it.
I believe from the research I did, and things I read, the change wasn't until 2012. You are also correct that there is an update kit that replaces the chain links. It requires a little bit of welding to do, but the pieces and template come with the kit.

On a FD 70 how about from a 09 to a 11. The 09 I'm looking at is $25,000 less and has a pea auger the 11 doesn't have auger.
I don't think there is any difference between those. It was in 2012 that MacDon updated the center feed deck frame. It was built heavier and more reinforced. They also changed where the feed deck attached to the header. The got rid of the 2 chain links and went to a different design like the previous post mentioned.

We bought an 08 Case 2162 (same thing just built for Case) and the center feed deck had been cracked, welded, and was broke again when we got it. Also the arms where the feed deck chain hooks onto the header were quite worn.

We bought the new 2012 style feed deck to replace it and the weak spot where ours had broke was noticeably reinforced on the new one. This was already setup for the new wishbone piece as the previous post described. It's a two person job to remove it, but I suppose you could rig something up using a loader or something similar. Not a real hard job to do, just time consuming.

I see in the parts book that in 2012 they also changed to a Weasler Gear Box instead of the Manufactured one.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a 2011 2152 (MD) and it had the 2 chainlink design. The chain link pulled out of its weld on the draper section this year. I caught it in time but I lost the rest of the mechanism in the field. My local dealer had the newer style in stock. I didn't pay attention to the change so had to weld twice! The newer attachment requires 3 chain links instead of 2. At least that is the way it worked out. I welded the 2 back in like on the other side, only to have to split a link in the field and weld the additional one on to it to make it longer so the newer "wishbone" one worked!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm running a 12 FD70 and 14 FD75 in same field and we saw zero difference in performance between the two units. I have the hydraulic knife reverser on the FD70 and it comes standard on the FD75. The 75 isn't a bad header, but there are elements showing up where you can tell where they lowered their cost of production and subsequently lowered the overall user friendliness/general quality of the unit. There is not enough improved on the FD75 to justify its cost over a good, used FD70. In fact you will curse, swear, and kick the absolute garbage end shields as typically the time you need to remove it is when either unplugging the knife or changing a guard/section and either way you're already pissed. However don't kick too hard or the flimsy, "thinner than a cheap truckstop condom" plastic shield will smash up.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a 2011 2152 (MD) and it had the 2 chainlink design. The chain link pulled out of its weld on the draper section this year. I caught it in time but I lost the rest of the mechanism in the field. My local dealer had the newer style in stock. I didn't pay attention to the change so had to weld twice! The newer attachment requires 3 chain links instead of 2. At least that is the way it worked out. I welded the 2 back in like on the other side, only to have to split a link in the field and weld the additional one on to it to make it longer so the newer "wishbone" one worked!:rolleyes:
The newer style gets rid of the chain altogether. There is a kit which comes with the the 2 arms (38 & 39), I'm guessing you currently have, then it comes with the "joint" (37), the triangle lugs (red boxes), and a template for you to weld the lugs on in place of the chain.

The MacDon part number is 123719. Description is KIT – feed deck front link upgrade. Includes items 37 (2), 38, 39, hardware S & B (4 each)
plus weld-on lugs, locating templates and instructions.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.